T6 exhaust s-pipe dimensions

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

T6 exhaust s-pipe dimensions

#1 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Hi everyone. As part of the cosmetic engine refresh i'm doing on my '64 C, I'm replacing the Bursch exhaust that came on the car with a stock muffler. I managed to find a Leistritz on Ebay and just got it back from having it ceramic coated.

I'm now thinking about the exhaust pipe configuration. My car has smooth bumpers with no overriders, and I think it'd be nice to have the s-pipes coming out of the cutouts in the valence.

Since I have a Leistritz, I thought I'd have some 1.5" pipes fabbed up and polished. Does anyone have the dimensions of the OEM 4-piece s-pipes?

I can take measurements myself but the motor won't be back in the car for another week or so.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: T6 exhaust s-pipe dimensions

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

From my 65C I have the S pipes currently sold by Stoddard. Off the car at the moment so from outer edge to outer edge 14" . From middle of pipe to middle of pipe 12" Measurements done with both pipes together and clamped as they would be on the car.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan

#3 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Thanks, Doug! That's super helpful! So if I'm reading you right the cutout would be about a foot away from the exhaust exit.

Would you be able to measure the length of the legs of each piece? If I'm looking at these parts correctly, there should be one long/short and one short/short piece that make up each s-pipe.

Rough dimensions are all I need in helping me purchase some pipe stock (pre-bent). I can do proper sizing later.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#4 Post by Doug McDonnell »

At muffler end 4 1/2 inches from end of flange to far side of pipe at bend. At cutout end 3 1/4 inches from end to far wall of pipe. It is my understanding that original S pipes were of a larger diameter than mine which are the ones currently sold.
Attachments
IMG_1322.JPG
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan

#5 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Thanks, Doug! Pretty confident I can get the right materials for some new pipes. You make a good point on the diameter of the pipes. I will check the outlet size on the Leistritz, but I assume since the muffler shop will be expanding the ends for a tight slip fit (plus clamps) that it doesn't have to be perfect and 1.5" pipe will work.

It's probably more of a question on whether the clamps I have will be a tight fit or loose and require shimming. I know the clamps from stoddard didn't work on the Bursch where the exhaust joins the j-pipes. Too big and needed shims.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#6 Post by Doug McDonnell »

You might want to contact C J Murray He had similar fabricated I believe: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43736&hilit=muffler&start=15

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#7 Post by Martin Benade »

Each piece of the original pipes is of a single diameter, the ends are not expanded to fit over the other part. I doubt if it costs much power but the repros sure look different.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna