interesting steering box cover

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jerry Haussler
356 Fan

interesting steering box cover

#1 Post by Jerry Haussler »

not sure what to make of it. just thought it was interesting.
Attachments
20170823_114444.jpg

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: interesting steering box cover

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

That's very interesting and unique. I wonder if the dealer or repair shop did that or, was there another vehicle that used the same access cover and it found it's way onto a 356?

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#3 Post by Martin Benade »

Probably somebody had the means to do this at work when the boss wasn't looking.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Eric Meyer
356 Fan
Location: California's Central Coast, not quite New Zealand... but close

#4 Post by Eric Meyer »

Looks hand painted when you look closely. the S's give that away. A professional old time sign painter prob did it. Yeah… I bet we all change our steering box fluid every 3k too…. hah!

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ron LaDow »

Eric Meyer wrote:Looks hand painted when you look closely. the S's give that away. A professional old time sign painter prob did it. Yeah… I bet we all change our steering box fluid every 3k too…. hah!
In the industry, the folks who do that work are known as "sign writers" for reasons unknown. The are among the highest skilled workers, but are little in demand now, given computer-generated signage. I did have a guy duplicate the lettering on the March F-1 and folks buying that sort of effort are likely the last market for the skill. I gave him rubbings of the originals and he did very fine work.
But that is a very nicely done job, including the corner 'dots'; a sort of archaic notation of the brads fastening a tin sign to a background surface.
Bravo!
Btw, Jerry, if that's for sale, I'd be interested. Just because it is such an expression of skill.
Oh, and: Sign writers were encouraged to 'paint the Union bug' on their work and sign their name. Sorry the guy who did that one didn't do so; in SF it's Local 510 of the "Sign, Scene and Pictorial Workers", so we could identify where it was done if he(?) had done so.
There is a preserved building-side 'billboard' a block or so away advertising "Acme Beer"; go to street views, 18th St in San Francisco just east of Missouri and look west. Faded, takes a close look, but the union 'bug' is there. No name.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jon Schmid »

Ron LaDow wrote:
Eric Meyer wrote: There is a preserved building-side 'billboard' a block or so away advertising "Acme Beer"; go to street views, 18th St in San Francisco just east of Missouri and look west. Faded, takes a close look, but the union 'bug' is there. No name.
Wile E. Coyote's favorite brew, no doubt.

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#7 Post by Brad Ripley »

Great item for your next Rat Rod 356.