Early parade pictures and results, Bill Devin S90 coupe

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Joris Koning
356 Fan

Early parade pictures and results, Bill Devin S90 coupe

#1 Post by Joris Koning »

Here is one for the oldtimers, no insult intended :-). I am looking for early parade pictures and results. My new S90 coupe was a staple car at many of the late 60's and early 70's parade's. It was owned by Bill Devin who was a well known PCA member. I would love to find some more history on the car. Sadly both Bill and his wife are no longer with us.

TIA,

Joris
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Jay Broemmel
356 Fan
Instagram: @slouchcycles

Re: Early parade pictures and results, Bill Devin S90 coupe

#2 Post by Jay Broemmel »

Hi Joris
Bill Devin was my dad's best friend from the PCA. He liked to jokingly tell us kids to "go play on the freeway!". We all went to a lot of events when I was a kid. I asked my mom what she remembered and got this:
"Bill and his wife Ruthie ( lovely , demure woman) lived in Hanford until they retired. He worked for some tractor or farm equipment company in Hanford.. Before they moved to San Diego they bought a bunch of apt rentals so when they did leave they were pretty much set.. had no children and I'm not sure where Ruthie worked.

I was more in touch with Frank's wife Phyllis but I think she died as well. You might want to check the obits.. she would have more info. They had one daughter Marta but don't know where she lives, not in Hanford..
We were all part of the San Joaquin Region. I don't think Bill or Frank auto crossed. I think they went to some Porsche Parades when they were in california like Monterey Bay. But again not sure. Don't know if the San Joaquin Region still exists.. they published a newsletter called the Zeitung.. back copies of that would probably have info.. There might be some in your father's things.. I have none of it.

Bill and Frank were both very outstanding men, never heard either of them raise their voices, but you met both of them right? They seemed to have a great relationship.

How does this guy know it's Bill's car?

One story I remember Bill telling your father, that when he went to check out a car he always carried a magnet to tell if there was any Bondo on the car to know if it had been messed with or had any major dings."

I will look for photos next time I go through my dad's stuff. Sadly, I think most of them ended up with my stepmother who has also passed. What was the original color? I vaguely remember it being red. Or white? Maybe that was his brother's car. That's Hanford, CA not Washington

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#3 Post by Joris Koning »

Hi Jay,

Thanks for all the interesting information.

The cars original color is signal red. It still carries its original paint today and the car is in amazing condition. Bill retired the car likely in 83 and very carefully stored it. The original interior is in like new condition, very special. I bought the car from the Devin estate aftr learning about the car years ago through Tim Goodrich.

Best,

Joris
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Jay Broemmel
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jay Broemmel »

Hey Joris
Is this it? I have a few more but I need to resize them on my computer tonight :( Hopefully the fender mount mirror is the key. J
Attachments
IMG_2795.JPG

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#5 Post by Joris Koning »

Hi Jay, Thanks for that picture, fantastic. This is the car today, Still in original paint and with probably the cleanest original interior I have ever seen. My good friend Tim Goodrich made me aware of the car years ago and I was finally able to buy it recently.
Attachments
IMG_20170903_065115.jpg
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Jay Broemmel
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jay Broemmel »

That's it! Awesome. Tim was also friends with my dad, Dick. Super nice guy. His first(?) shop, J and T Motors, is in Hanford, where Bill was from. The photos are obviously old film prints. Sorry, no negatives. PM me your mailing address and I will send them to you. I don't have a scanner or anything. You could make some digital copies and email them to me. There's another big box that is full of slides and old home movies that I will look through next time I'm back home. Might be more treasure in there yet. From my mom: "Interesting. Yeah, he was a very meticulous guy. He would be happy to know , or maybe he does , that his car is in such good hands."
Attachments
52735147850__02CDA2BF-C8C3-43BD-B72F-B3920605BBE1.JPG

John Brooks
356 Fan

#7 Post by John Brooks »

Joris Koning wrote:Hi Jay, Thanks for that picture, fantastic. This is the car today, Still in original paint and with probably the cleanest original interior I have ever seen. My good friend Tim Goodrich made me aware of the car years ago and I was finally able to buy it recently.
I have not spoken to Tim in a couple years, how is he doing lately?
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Jay Broemmel
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jay Broemmel »

Here's a couple more. That's Bill in the hat and glasses. That's my car in front of the line of 356s and yours with the hood up in back. All these are mid '70s I'm guessing. The autocross event was called C.R.A.B. in Sacramento.
Attachments
IMG_2788.JPG
IMG_2794.JPG
IMG_2796.JPG
IMG_2794.JPG

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#9 Post by Joris Koning »

Hi Jay,

Thanks for posting those great pictures! Wonderful! Cool to see your car in the picture. Looks like there is a Carrera 2 in the final picture also. Looks like Bill had a blast with the car. Unsure why he retired the car in 83. All signs are that it was put away very very carefully at that time and just sat till I picked her up. You can clearly see that the car was their baby as Tim once told me. They took such good care of her. Also in the way they put her away. Drained all the gas, ran the carbs dry etc. Between Paul Christensen, Larry and I we had the engine running in a matter of hours. (rebuild petcock, carbs, fuel pump etc.) Will be sending you a PM

@John, Tim is doing well under the circumstances. So glad to see him in strong spirit.
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#10 Post by Joris Koning »

Send you a PM Jay, not sure if you got it.

J.
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Jay Broemmel
356 Fan

#11 Post by Jay Broemmel »

Sorry. I was on vacation for a week. I did get your PM but it didn't have your mailing address. I think these photos mean more to you and the future owners of the car than anyone else. I will get more enjoyment out of them if I can see them on my computer instead of going and digging through a box.
My dad was the original owner of that Carrera 2. He got tired of having to pay someone to fuss with it all the time and traded it to another club member for the SC cab. If anyone has it I've got lots of photos of that car. Second owner was Don Harms of Fresno, CA. It had CA blue plates 777 DPP. No idea what the VIN was.
I think a lot of old time PCA people quit around 1980. I think the very existence of the 924 made them question their commitment to the marque. :P
Attachments
IMG_2864.JPG
IMG_2863.JPG
IMG_2862.JPG
IMG_2861.JPG