Would anyone want a trailer hitch?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Richard Towle
356 Fan

Would anyone want a trailer hitch?

#1 Post by Richard Towle »

If I was to make some of these hitches, would anyone want one?

I will make one at least...for me.

Forums = a herd of elephants with diarrhea. massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, and a source of mind boggling amounts of excrement.

John Wurner
356 Fan

Trailer hitch

#2 Post by John Wurner »

Hi
I purchased a trailer hitch a couple of years ago, and its a different design, but I really like it.
If you are not set on what you need, I can take some pics etc.
The one I have requires no new holes, is extremely strong and reaches to the transmission hoop for support and strength.
John

John Clarke
356 Fan

Towing!

#3 Post by John Clarke »

Hi Rich,

Apart from a 356 looking totally "Pants" towing something, like a trailer, or caravan, etc
Doesn't towing in a 356 affect any drive train issues? like the gearbox, or the final drive/differential? The only benefit I can see to fitting a tow bar is to protect the rear end of your lovely 356 and make a mess of the front end of the nerd following too close behind to notice our dim 6 volt brake lights!

Best regards

Jay Keep the Faith!

Ken Daugherty
356 Fan

Would anyone want a trailer hitch???

#4 Post by Ken Daugherty »

I have thought about making a big heavy duty trailer hitch
similar to the one we have on the truck. For fun (and weight) I would
make it out of fiberglass. It would not be functional but I can imagine
the look on folks when they see a very heavy duty hitch on a 356 and
wonder if I really pull a big trailer with my C coupe. :-)
A great 'outlaw' touch.
But for function, I would be interested in a hitch to pull a
small trailer like the Street Rod guys use. Some are fiberglass and made
to look like a Coke Cola cooler. Pictures please....

Ken Daugherty
kend356@insightbb.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, October 11, 2008 11:51 AM
To: 356talk@356registry.com
Subject: [356Talk] Would anyone want a trailer hitch???

Hi
I purchased a trailer hitch a couple of years ago, and its a different
design, but I really like it. If you are not set on what you need, I can
take some pics etc. The one I have requires no new holes, is extremely
strong and reaches to the transmission hoop for support and strength.
John

-------------------- m2f --------------------

To contact an administrator admin@356registry.com
To unsubscribe go to http://www.356registry.com/forum/m2f_usercp.php
Read this topic online here:
http://356registry.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 8773#18773

-------------------- m2f --------------------

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.
Ken Daugherty

Gianni Ripoli
356 Fan

Would anyone want a trailer hitch???

#5 Post by Gianni Ripoli »

Perfect trailer.

Gianni

euromediaag@aol.com
727 692 1548

Tom Coughlin
356 Fan
Tag: Go Gators

hitch

#6 Post by Tom Coughlin »

The B/C workshop manual in the Supplements section page 72 shows a picture of the tow bar and how it mounts (if that helps).
Oh, by the way, I'm not interested in getting one!
 KTF, member #15

Scott Bartmess
356 Fan

Re: Would anyone want a trailer hitch???

#7 Post by Scott Bartmess »

Richard,

Are you still interested in making a trailer hitch? I am searching for one, or looking to have one made that approximates the factory hitch.
Scott Bartmess
haena1@comcast.net
'65 356 C Cab
'67 911 Sunroof
'71 FJ40
'71 914-6
'12 991 Carrera

Eric Meyer
356 Fan
Location: California's Central Coast, not quite New Zealand... but close

Re: Would anyone want a trailer hitch?

#8 Post by Eric Meyer »

I always wanted to put a hitch on my Convt. D... then I was gonna borrow a concours level Chevy Suburban or some other really clean older SUV... and use the Suburban to tow a car trailer to the North meets South show. The idea was to drive the Suburban across the street from the show in the shopping center... detatch the trailer and hook it up to the Convt. D... then drive the suburban up on the trailer (carefully balanced so there wouldn't be too much tongue weight... and then proceed to use the D to pull the suburban on the trailer over to the show grounds and just park it in the parking lot next to the show and watch what happens.

as though we were on the way to some classic truck concours... and just happened to stop at the 356 show...

Erik Thomas
356 Fan

#9 Post by Erik Thomas »

I could see flat towing my Formula Junior with my 356

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#10 Post by Vic Skirmants »

I flat-towed my speedster with a VW beetle, then a Type 3 squareback; more room in the back to sleep, if you left the hatch part way up for your toes.

Eric M., you're a sick man. :D :P :wink:
Talk about clutch judder in first gear!

Jerry Garwick
356 Fan

#11 Post by Jerry Garwick »

During the Monterey Historics for the 50 th anniversary I was camping next to a guy towing a small camper with his 356 coupe. He said he had been doing it for years with no adverse issues. Also I had bought a 912 with a hitch on it which had been used Tom tow a Hobby Cat. I took the hitch off and never had any probles with the car for a number of years.
Jerry G

Al Zim
356 Fan

#12 Post by Al Zim »

I wonder why you would want to tow with a 50 year old vehicle (or maybe 47)? In the far distant past I towed the speedster I raced and the formula V with my 544 Volvo fortunately the speed limits were 60 mph and no cell phones to distract the drivers. I have finally switched to a 3/4 and a 1 ton pick up. These vehicles have the brakes to stop should the trailer brakes prove inadequate. They also have safety equipment that will keep me in one piece.
Dennis Jenkins a noted automotive writer towed his motorcycle with a 356. I believe that in the time he owned the car he had to replace the ring and pinion gear twice in the transmission. He also drove the car so hard that he broke the mounts for the engine hoop out of the car and held the engine in place with a rope till he got it to a Porsche repair shop.
Unlike a truck that has a heavy metal frame, there is no way to adequately attach a trailer hitch to the Porsche with bolts that are larger than 10MM. I think the rear bolts are 8MM. Sheet metal will work, a heavy steel frame will not. al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Scott Bartmess
356 Fan

#13 Post by Scott Bartmess »

I want to tow with my 356C Cab because I have a lightweight Thule Luggage trailer that would make camping (and swap meets) more enjoyable in my 356 than in an F250. Plus when I tow, I can tell everyone it's no problem for this 356 with a Skirmants built transaxle! Would you disagree?
Scott Bartmess
haena1@comcast.net
'65 356 C Cab
'67 911 Sunroof
'71 FJ40
'71 914-6
'12 991 Carrera

Al Zim
356 Fan

#14 Post by Al Zim »

I have a Ford 250 Turbo Diesel also. I think it is much safer than driving a 356 on the Interstate. You will be above the accident should it happen! I have a Ranch Hand front bumper and that pretty well commands the intersection. You can put all you want in the back of the truck, even rent a trailer if you find a deal. I think the truck is more relaxing to drive (I did not say more fun) because you are not worrying about the idiot (read cellphone user) on the highway next to you or if the Semi can see you.
Dallas-Ft. Worth is becoming more and more like Southern California daily including more crazy drivers. Any 356 or 911 that you commute in has too many chances to become totaled because of traffic and other drivers. Until I am 25 miles outside our area, (on weekends only) I am never comfortable. I have plenty of insurance on my cars, but where am I going to find another that is rust free and has low mileage. They are an investment and "FUN" also. Treat them as such. al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

David Ramatowski
356 Fan

#15 Post by David Ramatowski »

Scott Bartmess wrote:I want to tow with my 356C Cab because I have a lightweight Thule Luggage trailer that would make camping (and swap meets) more enjoyable in my 356 than in an F250. Plus when I tow, I can tell everyone it's no problem for this 356 with a Skirmants built transaxle! Would you disagree?

Good for you! Tow that trailer! Use that car! Let the Nervous Nellies fret over their precious 'investments'. You own a car. that is like folks buying a gun that is too fancy to shoot. PFUI!