Would anyone want a trailer hitch?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
David Ramatowski
356 Fan

Re: Would anyone want a trailer hitch?

#16 Post by David Ramatowski »

Scott Bartmess wrote:I want to tow with my 356C Cab because I have a lightweight Thule Luggage trailer that would make camping (and swap meets) more enjoyable in my 356 than in an F250. Plus when I tow, I can tell everyone it's no problem for this 356 with a Skirmants built transaxle! Would you disagree?

Good for you! Tow that trailer! Use that car! Let the Nervous Nellies fret over their precious 'investments'. You own a car. That is like folks buying a gun that is too fancy to shoot. PFUI!

Geoff Ver
356 Fan

#17 Post by Geoff Ver »

Sorry to re-start a very old topic but thinking about making a towing hitch myself. Anybody made one recently? Searching for pictures or measurements.
Thanks!

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#18 Post by Adam Wright »

Geoff Ver wrote:Sorry to re-start a very old topic but thinking about making a towing hitch myself. Anybody made one recently? Searching for pictures or measurements.
Thanks!
Here is what the Factory Hitch looked like.
Attachments
hitch1.jpg
hitch2.jpg
hitch3.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Scott Bartmess
356 Fan

#19 Post by Scott Bartmess »

I never did find anyone who was willing to fabricate a hitch myself (or willing to sell me a fabricated one) but I did get lucky 2 years ago, that after 15 years of searching (and posting) I located an Original Oris Hitch. I convinced the seller that I was indeed crazy enough to install it on my Cabriolet, and once I did, I was going to live out my promise to myself and drive from Chicago to the Emory Porsche Campout in Oregon.

The 356 known for its instability in crosswinds, locks down like a slot car with a 500 lb. trailer. Very stable at speed. Semi's passed in both directions and the car was always steady as a rock. The largely stock engine likes 3600-4000 rpm when pulling on highway and it ran all day long in 96 degree heat in Nebraska with the Oil temp never crossing 70% across the gauge. We pulled 2800 miles with our camping gear in the back. The only issue is the negative camber of the swing axle will cost you a new set of rear tires. They had only 5,000 miles on them when I began and I replaced them at the end of the trip.

My mechanic (Perfect Power in Buffalo Grove) cautioned me to put a trailer brake controller in. It's not going up to the top of the Beartooth Highway mountains that concerned him, it was coming down. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the new trailer axle on time for the trip to Emory's so, I did it without trailer brakes, and it was fine, I was cautious on the descent from 10,947 feet, but the posted speed limits are 35 mph in most places anyhow.

Anyway, I did take measurements of the hitch and I plan to have some of these fabricated. I don't know the costs yet, but I would like to gather interest in who would want one. I'm not in it to make a profit, but cover my costs and enable others to have the experience I had. I've attached some fit-up pictures and action shots for you.
Attachments
Action shot, ascending to the peak of the Beartooth Highway in MT.  10,947 feet.
Action shot, ascending to the peak of the Beartooth Highway in MT. 10,947 feet.
Here is the final version all trimmed up with DOT 4/7 pin connector and trailer brake controller.
Here is the final version all trimmed up with DOT 4/7 pin connector and trailer brake controller.
Here is a test fit shot from below
Here is a test fit shot from below
Here is a test fitting of my original Oris Hitch.
Here is a test fitting of my original Oris Hitch.
Scott Bartmess
haena1@comcast.net
'65 356 C Cab
'67 911 Sunroof
'71 FJ40
'71 914-6
'12 991 Carrera

John Wurner
356 Fan

#20 Post by John Wurner »

Here is a pic or two of the one I have, in case someone wants measurements.
No holes to drill.
John
Attachments
Hitch 1.JPG
Hitch 2.JPG

Geoff Ver
356 Fan

#21 Post by Geoff Ver »

Scott Bartmess wrote: Anyway, I did take measurements of the hitch and I plan to have some of these fabricated. I don't know the costs yet, but I would like to gather interest in who would want one. I'm not in it to make a profit, but cover my costs and enable others to have the experience I had. I've attached some fit-up pictures and action shots for you.
Very nice Scott! Seriously interested if you're planning to fabricate more. Please let me know!

Scott Bartmess
356 Fan

#22 Post by Scott Bartmess »

Geoff - Will do! I can't say when I'm going to get around to it all, but I do have actual Oris (now Bosal-Oris) factory swan neck hitch balls and electric sockets that are still period correct and replicate the entire look and feel of the original Oris hitch. All gained through much trial and error in ordering from overseas (you have no idea how regulated Europe is when it comes to trailer hitches). God Bless the USA, this is one area of regulation that we don't have here, thankfully.
Scott Bartmess
haena1@comcast.net
'65 356 C Cab
'67 911 Sunroof
'71 FJ40
'71 914-6
'12 991 Carrera

Geoff Ver
356 Fan

#23 Post by Geoff Ver »

Scott Bartmess wrote:Geoff - Will do! I can't say when I'm going to get around to it all, but I do have actual Oris (now Bosal-Oris) factory swan neck hitch balls and electric sockets that are still period correct and replicate the entire look and feel of the original Oris hitch. All gained through much trial and error in ordering from overseas (you have no idea how regulated Europe is when it comes to trailer hitches). God Bless the USA, this is one area of regulation that we don't have here, thankfully.
Great! Don't think it will be a problem using it in The Netherlands :)

Thomas Sottile
356 Fan

#24 Post by Thomas Sottile »

A good friend of mine Jack built one and instead of wielding it he used bolts to hold it together this way it could be folded up and put in the front hatch for long trips.