Secure Exhaust Flange Studs

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Paul Ahnell
356 Fan
Tag: What?

Secure Exhaust Flange Studs

#1 Post by Paul Ahnell »

What's the best way to secure the Exhaust flange studs? Is there a super heat-resistant thread locker out there, and what is it? Or, is there a better solution?
Paul Ahnell
'60 Normal Coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: Secure Exhaust Flange Studs

#2 Post by Martin Benade »

You could use split lock washers. Generally the nuts stay on fine with no special care.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

I've used red Loctite with good results. I'm sure others will have their favorite thread locker.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#4 Post by Martin Benade »

Loctite (including red) releases when it gets warmed up, I think the nuts stayed on regardless.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Paul Ahnell
356 Fan

#5 Post by Paul Ahnell »

All: Thanks for that, but I'm concerned with securing the studs in the head so they don't back out if I have a tight nut. What's th ebest way to do that?
Paul Ahnell
'60 Normal Coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#6 Post by Martin Benade »

You could put some punch marks on the threads, or crunch them a bit with vise-grips before forcing them in. Personally I would be most comfortable leaving them as designed, they usually stay in place. Instead, if you come across a tight nut, deal with that using heat or a good penetrating oil such as Blaster, and a little back-and-forth exercise.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#7 Post by Vic Skirmants »

I would definitely NOT intentionally damage the stud threads; that will only cause machining of the aluminum head.
If a stud comes out with the nut, double-nut the other end of the stud and remove the tight nut. Then insert the stud using the double-nutted (?)end to screw it in. I do use Red Loctite. You could also use JB Weld to be sure.

Herlin E. Woolery
356 Fan

#8 Post by Herlin E. Woolery »

Paul,
I use LOCTITE 243 and holding very well .

Herlin Woolery
'58 A Coupe

Jeffrey Leeds
356 Fan

#9 Post by Jeffrey Leeds »

How about chasing the header side stud threads to make sure they are clean, first. Then I like to use a copper flange nut
(https://www.belmetric.com/hex-with-flan ... p-189.html) to secure the exhaust headers. Not correct but peace-of-mind when it comes time to R & R

- Jeff
< Jeff >

Registry Member Since 1978
1963 356B T-6 Super 90 Coupe
2009 997.2 Carrera S
2015 958 Cayenne diesel-1 & 2015 958 Cayenne diesel-2

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#10 Post by Martin Benade »

The instructions say 500 degrees F will release red or blue Loctite, I think that is about half the running temp of an exhaust port. Jeffrey's idea is a good solution.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Paul Ahnell
356 Fan

#11 Post by Paul Ahnell »

All: Thanks again for your replies and suggested solutions. I just ordered the Belmetric copper nuts and may use a just a touch of JB weld as Vic suggested. There are a lot of different hi-temp thread lockers out there. Will also use Remflex gaskets. Expect it will be good until I go toes up.
Paul Ahnell
'60 Normal Coupe

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#12 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Martin Benade wrote:The instructions say 500 degrees F will release red or blue Loctite, I think that is about half the running temp of an exhaust port. Jeffrey's idea is a good solution.
Has anyone measured the temperature of the exhaust area of a 356 head? When using exhaust temp gauges on the race cars, we tried for 1400 degrees about 2-3 inches from the mating surface. That is of course at the tip of the flame; the hottest part.
I really doubt the head gets to 1000 degrees! Doesn't aluminum melt around 700 or so?
Using an under the spark plug sender, we can see up to 400 degrees; trying to keep it closer to 350 with jetting and cooling.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#13 Post by Martin Benade »

I looked up some generic numbers for exhaust temp and manifold temps, which sometimes glow red. Probably I was totally wrong to infer this on a Porsche.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#14 Post by Dick Weiss »

I've found that the rounded end of the exhaust stud(s) are for the nut(s)--and flanged nuts may not properly get tight due to the exhaust flanges are welded on the outside: That's why the 12mm hex nuts will (or should) clear the bead.
The other flattened end of the stud may be very slightly larger in pitch which will get tight when inserted into its hole in the head.
I used to made some special over-sized studs to suit. I also 'peened' the outside of the port casting to kinda shrink the tapped hole and use either Loctite or J.B. Weld, and use Hi Temp anti-sieze to prevent the nut from "rusting in place" over the years.

Al Zim
356 Fan

#15 Post by Al Zim »

Your situation is solved very simply. Use a thread chaser (not a die) to remove the rust from the stud (the studs remain in the head). You can purchase Brass metric nuts with 13mm hex or you can get some 5/16 brass nuts at the local hardware store and tap them to 8 MM. I use a 1/4 inch drive to install the exhaust flanges where possible. al zim You always have to file the exhaust flanges flat. Check the welds to see if there are any visible leaks between the exhaust pipe and the flange. Sometimes you have to heat (red hot) the pipe to insure a proper fit to the head. I always use double gaskets and orange silicon on assembly.
The gaskets currently available are half the thickness of the original gaskets and do not have the wire reinforcement in them. al zim
Last edited by Al Zim on Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/