the 500k roadster

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

Re: the 500k roadster

#16 Post by Adam Wright »

It's hard to take a car that has been restored to the nth degree and sold at a big auction house and compare it to anything happening in the real world with a normal guy selling a normal car.
The analogy I use when people quote me what a car like this sold for at one of the big auctions and base the price of their car on it is a simple one. I say it's like Paris Fashion Week, if you watch it you will see an Yves St. Laurent gown go down the runway, if you wanted to buy it the cost would be in the tens of thousands. A year later you are at the mall and see a watered down version of that gown on the rack, it's semi-affordable. That what comparing one of these half million dollars cars to a rusty pile in the back of your garage, it's apples and oranges, yes they are both Porsches, but you can't really use the value of one as a basis for the value of the other.
It's like a few years ago I went to the side of a mountain to look at a B Coupe, the passenger's side door had a live snake looking at me, the driver's side had an ant-hill as big a my foot, and under the hood with a family of mice, a true eco-system. The guy said,
"B Coupes are bringing $75,000 now."
I agreed, and it would take $100,000 to get this car there, so do I get $25,000 for taking it?
Attachments
snake356.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#17 Post by Jim Liberty »

Adam, the answer is YES. I use the same method for evaluating a sales price. I often tell people that if they gave me the car, I would not take it. Sounds offensive, but true. I also tell friends, if you are buying out of passion only, it doesn't matter what you pay. Even after all these years, I'm guilty of that too, I'm afraid.
Jim Liberty

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#18 Post by Adam Wright »

Jim Liberty wrote:Adam, the answer is YES. I use the same method for evaluating a sales price. I often tell people that if they gave me the car, I would not take it. Sounds offensive, but true. I also tell friends, if you are buying out of passion only, it doesn't matter what you pay. Even after all these years, I'm guilty of that too, I'm afraid.
I agree, when I want something for myself, I don't get caught up on price, if someone has it, I want it, I buy it. I recently did this putting together my set of Rudges, it hurt, bad, to make it all there, but you can't really pass up when a Rudge floats by.
Attachments
rudgefinal2.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Tom Reindl
356 Fan
Instagram: home-of-seppi

#19 Post by Tom Reindl »

Hi.
does anyone know how many BT5 roadsters where made in black ?

Thanks
Cheers

tom

Tom Reindl
356 Fan
Instagram: home-of-seppi

#20 Post by Tom Reindl »

..no one? Really?

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#21 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Yeah; really. I suppose someone could search the Drauz and early Dieteren build records for that info, but I'm not the one.
Anyone else?

Michael Branning
Registry Trustee
Instagram: @mtbranning

#22 Post by Michael Branning »

Vic Skirmants wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:18 am Yeah; really. I suppose someone could search the Drauz and early Dieteren build records for that info, but I'm not the one.
Anyone else?
Is access to those records even available?
Michael Branning
356 Registry Vice President/Trustee
'64 SR Coupe
61 S90 Roadster

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#23 Post by Norm Miller »

One of the great liers I've known I worked with bought a 60 roadster, Ruby/black.
He convinced the DMV it was a 61 which made it worth more in 1962.
He then saw and bought a twin grill deck lid and went back to DMV but I don't think he was successful but now it was worth more.

So, if you own a 60 Rdstr with a twin grill you might have it.
He sold it in 1963.

(we both worked at the local Porsche VW dealer)

Paul Thompson
356 Fan

#24 Post by Paul Thompson »

Wow. I've been looking for 89792, but at these prices I kinda hope I never find it!
1957 Speedster
1965 356SC Coupe
1972 911T
1998 C2S
2013 911 C4S
2016 Boxster Spyder