My new to me 356C

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Rusty Ferrell
356 Fan

Re: My new to me 356C

#16 Post by Rusty Ferrell »

Hej Antonio, next time you come down to Virginia Beach stop in and visit. Small Porsche shop. I've got several of my own.
217 First Colonial Road
Unit 103/104
Virginia Beach, VA 23454

Have a couple of lifts if you want to do something underneath or just come by for a cold Coke.
Rusty

John Clarke
356 Fan

#17 Post by John Clarke »

Welcome.Nice car Antonio, enjoy. I want your Mehari!
Cheers Jay

Thomas Sottile
356 Fan

#18 Post by Thomas Sottile »

I like the blue top.

Antonio P Conceicao
356 Fan

#19 Post by Antonio P Conceicao »

Jules Dielen wrote:Pretty car, congrats and welcome to the 356 world :) It looks like you have a european delivery '64. the reflectors below the bumpers are euro spec. Nice color combo! and yes that vin would be a 64. Does not matter, still a beautiful C.
That is great to know
Thanks for the info

Antonio
Doug McDonnell wrote:While bumperettes would be as when new the holes in the bumpers for mounting them have been filled it looks like. Drivers and passenger seats are different. Passengers side "Locks down" Drivers side doesn't except in 62. Assuming of course that you have 64 type hinges. https://porsche356registry.org/article/235
I also like bumperettes that means I will get them and because we want the car to be black on back I will make sure when paint job is done they will install them.

Thanks for the tip on the seats, looks like I got 64 type , driver seat doesnt locks down.
Thanks for the info

Antonio
Jim Liberty wrote:Antonio, welcome to the greatest car club in the world. The people in the club, and on this Forum will be there for you always. Keep on driving.
Thank you sir, I actually found some old paper work on the car from the club, looks like this car was already a member in past ;)

Antonio
Steven Murray wrote:Ir gauges don't work well on reflective surfaces. I see more expensive units let you calibrate for Emissivity. I noticed this myself where feel to touch hotter items gave lower temp readings. I'm not expert if anyone wants to chime in. I did a quick check and found this youtube starting 1:56 in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNN4xsZNK6c . Good luck with the car, it took you 7 years to pull the trigger. I'm just completing my 1st year on the registry. It might take me another 6 years to pull the trigger also.
Thanks for the link I will check it out. In my case because my good friend sells used Porsches he help me with it, but I got exactaly what I wanted. take your time it will show up ; )

Antonio
David Jones wrote:Steven, you are correct but the emissivity error is going to be very low on most any part of a 356 where the critical temps are measured because unless one chromed the surfaces they are going to have an emissivity close to 0.95 as they should be non reflective surfaces. Highly polished surfaces are notably absent from daily or frequently driven 356's though some garage/trailer queens may have highly polished surfaces but never get driven so engine temps are immaterial. I measure the oil filter can and the area around the oil temp gauge and the oil pump to get an average reading. If I have any misgivings I stick my fry thermometer in the dipstick tube.
Cant go wrong with a fry thermometer

Thanks for the help

Antonio
Greg Bryan wrote:Antonio - I bet our cars were both at the factory at the same time - mine is 160595.
CabwSnowcrop.jpg
It is a German delivery car that a US serviceman bought used - I think - and drove it in Germany for 5 years before sending it to the Seattle area.
It is registered as a '65 model year, but is a late '64 according to the body number.
https://porsche356registry.org/chassis? ... mit=Search
The Registry VIN Search shows that the 64 model year went to body number 160750.
It was not unusual for dealers to register cars as the next model year if they were unsold at the end of the previous year.
That is a great looking car you got ; )
Thanks for the info , good chance they both were at factory at same time , that is awesome!

Antonio
Rusty Ferrell wrote:Hej Antonio, next time you come down to Virginia Beach stop in and visit. Small Porsche shop. I've got several of my own.
217 First Colonial Road
Unit 103/104
Virginia Beach, VA 23454

Have a couple of lifts if you want to do something underneath or just come by for a cold Coke.
Hello,

My car come from Virginia Beach, I exit to sandbridge just before your shop, I will stop by sir one of this days. BTW do you own a red one LOL its on google . I will send you a pm because I am thinking of painting my car very soon.

Antonio
John Clarke wrote:Welcome.Nice car Antonio, enjoy. I want your Mehari!
Cheers Jay
Thanks Jay , my Mehari is actualy a US car, with euro front and rear, I restore it couple years ago, its the rarest car I got ,kids love it , coolest golf kart you can own, I also use it as my pit car for races LOL
Antonio
Thomas Sottile wrote:I like the blue top.
Thanks Thomas

Top is like new very well made and will go for sale after car gets painted black

Antonio

Antonio P Conceicao
356 Fan

#20 Post by Antonio P Conceicao »

Hello everyone , sorry for the late responces to everyone I got lockout of forum for a couple days but I am able to log on again. great customer service ; )

As I said above our dream 356C is black outside and black inside. Because the car is not is original color I am really thinking of painting car black, I am thinking to have a good paint job done on it but leave all the platina on the chromes

I am on the search for a place to have it painted within Northen VA area, I dont mind to travel a little but I dont want ship the car across the country, I would like to see the process as it gets done, I also want a shop that know these cars, that means if there is a suprise they will know how to handle

I got a couple leads on it but if anyone had good experinces in this area please let me know

have a great day everyone

Antonio

Chuck Allard
356 Fan

#21 Post by Chuck Allard »

Lewis Hauser at Karosserie in Fairfax, VA 703-876-6300 for paint!

Antonio P Conceicao
356 Fan

#22 Post by Antonio P Conceicao »

Thanks

They are not too far from me.

Antonio
Chuck Allard wrote:Lewis Hauser at Karosserie in Fairfax, VA 703-876-6300 for paint!

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#23 Post by Dick Weiss »

Antonio,

I hope you meant that you installed the new battery INTO the car instead of ONTO it; It would really hurt!

Glad to see it "On the road again".

Antonio P Conceicao
356 Fan

#24 Post by Antonio P Conceicao »

:D

as you can see english is not my first language, I did put into not onto :wink:
Dick Weiss wrote:Antonio,

I hope you meant that you installed the new battery INTO the car instead of ONTO it; It would really hurt!

Glad to see it "On the road again".

Antonio P Conceicao
356 Fan

#25 Post by Antonio P Conceicao »

Time to get it black on black , I actually agree with the wife , they look really nice black
20171001_192338 (480x640).jpg
20171001_111310 (640x480).jpg
20171001_111243 (640x480).jpg
After starting removing the inside of the car I notice the floor panels have been replaced , the welds look ok

I still looking for a painter , I think the interior I will do it myself

Not sure if I should just have it block sand it and painted over or strip it all the way to bare metal

The only crack on the paint I got is on the bottom of the passager door , but no bubles that I can see on the existing paint

Like I said before I am looking for a painter with VA or MD

Antonio

Harold Singh
356 Fan
Tag: Cooling with air

#26 Post by Harold Singh »

Chucks frame in Richmond is often mentioned for Porsche paint
Harold
In the garage:
1964 356C Irish Green
1995 993 GP White

Harold Singh
356 Fan
Tag: Cooling with air

#27 Post by Harold Singh »

Kahiko Customs/Scott Burnett is highly recommended
Harold
In the garage:
1964 356C Irish Green
1995 993 GP White

Antonio P Conceicao
356 Fan

#28 Post by Antonio P Conceicao »

Thanks
Harold Singh wrote:Kahiko Customs/Scott Burnett is highly recommended

Antonio P Conceicao
356 Fan

#29 Post by Antonio P Conceicao »

thanks
Harold Singh wrote:Chucks frame in Richmond is often mentioned for Porsche paint

Antonio P Conceicao
356 Fan

#30 Post by Antonio P Conceicao »

Interior is almost out!

Remove all the old insulation, stuff was nasty almost like horse hair, I notice some tar insulation was coming apart, after removing it I found some rust but mostly surface rust. I will clean it and have it painted when car gets paint it.

20171001_115054 (640x480).jpg
20171011_184822 (800x600).jpg
20171011_192718 (600x800).jpg
20171011_195303 (800x600).jpg
20171011_213209 (800x600).jpg

While the car is getting painted I will go over all the bags and clean up all the parts and make a list of stuff needs to be order

I also got some updates on the place to have it paint it, I am down 2 places , I will meet someone this Saturday that works only on VW classics but have done 356 too, I have seen some of there work and I liked what I saw, small shop away from a big city, nothing fancy but well know by VW community in this area

I am thinking of using Dynamax

something like this
porsche128.jpg
porsche129.jpg
Antonio