My new to me 356C

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Antonio P Conceicao
356 Fan

My new to me 356C

#1 Post by Antonio P Conceicao »

Hello everyone

After 7 years I finally got my wife and myself a 356

Pick up the car last friday from the shop at Tyson, Va, drop a new 6v battery on it, and drove it down Sandbridge VA for the weekend. Then on Sunday drove it back to Gainesville, Va where I live.

Couple pictures
New battery and 6v charger just in case
20170818_132638 (600x800).jpg
Driving to a huge storm down Rt17 just before 95
20170818_200643 (800x600).jpg
Saturday morning drive around Sandbridge
20170819_081148 (800x600).jpg
Coming back I notice engine missfires a little after 2 hours runs , I stop to cool it off the engine a little , after that it run well again, not sure why maybe needs a tune up
20170820_163704 (800x600).jpg
Got home late on Sunday but had time to wash her and get her inside the garage next to my Mehari, they are both aircooled and seem to get along hahaha
20170820_210157 (800x600).jpg

What a nice car, she drives really well , no shaking , brake feeling little soft , I need to check it out , engine pulls really nice, she loves being at 3700 rpm around 68-70 mph and the sounds is just amazing

Antonio

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: My new to me 356C

#2 Post by David Jones »

Congrats Antonio and welcome to the community. Nice looking car and I am sure you will really enjoy it from the way you have started.
You are correct, a tune up would be a good idea. The kind of misfire you are experiencing after 2 hours is more likely to be electrical than anything else thug depending on fuel level you could have experienced some very slight fuel starvation if you got close to reserve. When coils and distributor capacitors get hot they can cause misfires if they are not 100% so it may be wise to carry both of these as spare parts until the problem is resolved. It would be a good idea to check the oil temp gauge against an IR gun reading on the temp gauge sender to get an idea of it's accuracy. On a very hot day and on a long run above 70+ mph you can expect the temps to read in the middle of the gauge without worrying about it. Temps at the sensor at this point would be around the 200*F mark and so would the oil temp in the oil filter.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

Congratulations and welcome to the 356 Community!
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Charles H Jacobus
356 Fan

#4 Post by Charles H Jacobus »

Congratulations, Antonio! I just bought a C also and had backfire issues. In my case it turned out to be a small hole in the to of the exhaust heater box J pipe. My carbs were also too lean caused by the idle screw mixture being too lean so you might want to check that out also.

Have a great time with it!

ChuckJ
Current:
2012 Silver 991
1995 Midnight blue 993
1965 Red 356C

Past:
Fond memories of 14 others (including a '63 Normal and a 61 S90) :)

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#5 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Congratulations and welcome.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Antonio P Conceicao
356 Fan

#6 Post by Antonio P Conceicao »

Hello David,

I rulled out fuel due to fact I was over 1/2 tank and it went away without fueling it, you right, I am going to order coils and distributor, just to rule out these parts and start learning a little bit more about this engines.

My temp gauge was showing just a little over 1/2 doing 68- 70 mph, but was brutal hot around 92's but felt like 100's but I am not sure if is reading right, I will use IR gun next time and start keeping readings to have a better idea.

Besides that it needs little things

Wife wants me to get bumperetts, this is a must because she keeps bring it it up, everyday and this is her baby
I need a good looking , look like OEM steering wheel, the one on it reminds me of a dune buggy, feels nice but I prefer the old style ones OEM look

Also the driver seat, looks like some parts are missing on bottom lock system, I will get some pictures soon, is not loocking straight both sides at same time, I think the lock at one side is gone and recliner part of the seat is not straight, it locks one side and not the other. Good thing the passager sit seems ok that way I can compare what is missing

Last thing is vin # 160619 is already register here but it says 1964, I thought my car was a 1965, I have not got the title yet but I was going to swear I got a 65 or is it a 64?

Antonio

David Jones wrote:Congrats Antonio and welcome to the community. Nice looking car and I am sure you will really enjoy it from the way you have started.
You are correct, a tune up would be a good idea. The kind of misfire you are experiencing after 2 hours is more likely to be electrical than anything else thug depending on fuel level you could have experienced some very slight fuel starvation if you got close to reserve. When coils and distributor capacitors get hot they can cause misfires if they are not 100% so it may be wise to carry both of these as spare parts until the problem is resolved. It would be a good idea to check the oil temp gauge against an IR gun reading on the temp gauge sender to get an idea of it's accuracy. On a very hot day and on a long run above 70+ mph you can expect the temps to read in the middle of the gauge without worrying about it. Temps at the sensor at this point would be around the 200*F mark and so would the oil temp in the oil filter.

Antonio P Conceicao
356 Fan

#7 Post by Antonio P Conceicao »

Thanks Mike
Mike Wilson wrote:Congratulations and welcome to the 356 Community!

Antonio P Conceicao
356 Fan

#8 Post by Antonio P Conceicao »

Thanks Charles

I will look into to that if a tune up will not fix it

Antonio
Charles H Jacobus wrote:Congratulations, Antonio! I just bought a C also and had backfire issues. In my case it turned out to be a small hole in the to of the exhaust heater box J pipe. My carbs were also too lean caused by the idle screw mixture being too lean so you might want to check that out also.

Have a great time with it!

ChuckJ

Antonio P Conceicao
356 Fan

#9 Post by Antonio P Conceicao »

Thanks Doug
Doug McDonnell wrote:Congratulations and welcome.

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#10 Post by Jules Dielen »

Pretty car, congrats and welcome to the 356 world :) It looks like you have a european delivery '64. the reflectors below the bumpers are euro spec. Nice color combo! and yes that vin would be a 64. Does not matter, still a beautiful C.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#11 Post by Doug McDonnell »

While bumperettes would be as when new the holes in the bumpers for mounting them have been filled it looks like. Drivers and passenger seats are different. Passengers side "Locks down" Drivers side doesn't except in 62. Assuming of course that you have 64 type hinges. https://porsche356registry.org/article/235
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#12 Post by Jim Liberty »

Antonio, welcome to the greatest car club in the world. The people in the club, and on this Forum will be there for you always. Keep on driving.
Jim Liberty

Steven Murray
356 Fan

IR temp

#13 Post by Steven Murray »

Ir gauges don't work well on reflective surfaces. I see more expensive units let you calibrate for Emissivity. I noticed this myself where feel to touch hotter items gave lower temp readings. I'm not expert if anyone wants to chime in. I did a quick check and found this youtube starting 1:56 in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNN4xsZNK6c . Good luck with the car, it took you 7 years to pull the trigger. I'm just completing my 1st year on the registry. It might take me another 6 years to pull the trigger also.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#14 Post by David Jones »

Steven, you are correct but the emissivity error is going to be very low on most any part of a 356 where the critical temps are measured because unless one chromed the surfaces they are going to have an emissivity close to 0.95 as they should be non reflective surfaces. Highly polished surfaces are notably absent from daily or frequently driven 356's though some garage/trailer queens may have highly polished surfaces but never get driven so engine temps are immaterial. I measure the oil filter can and the area around the oil temp gauge and the oil pump to get an average reading. If I have any misgivings I stick my fry thermometer in the dipstick tube.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#15 Post by Greg Bryan »

Antonio - I bet our cars were both at the factory at the same time - mine is 160595.
CabwSnowcrop.jpg
It is a German delivery car that a US serviceman bought used - I think - and drove it in Germany for 5 years before sending it to the Seattle area.
It is registered as a '65 model year, but is a late '64 according to the body number.
https://porsche356registry.org/chassis? ... mit=Search
The Registry VIN Search shows that the 64 model year went to body number 160750.
It was not unusual for dealers to register cars as the next model year if they were unsold at the end of the previous year.
Greg Bryan