The Little Details

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Eric McKinley
356 Fan

The Little Details

#1 Post by Eric McKinley »

I have a question in relation to the location of a screw which I see is located on the rubber trim on a 356C.

The piece of trim I refer to is the rubber part that is sliced at an angle at the inside edge of the door and folded and glued in place.

I have noticed on unrestored cars that there is one small screw located at the fold of the rubber trim.

This appears to be missing on the majority of restored cars that I have seen, my car included.

I am assuming that this is to aid the trim to stay in place and not lift.

I do not think it is required as the trim passes under the door panel and is held in place, however it would be nice to be period correct.
Attachments
Door 2.JPG
Door 2.JPG (18.16 KiB) Viewed 3066 times
Door 1.JPG

Charles H Jacobus
356 Fan

Re: The Little Details

#2 Post by Charles H Jacobus »

Great question Eric and not to steal your thread, but there must be an appropriate angle for the door handle to set at also and notice these are 180 degrees from each other (one facing forward and one facing back). It would also be nice to know how they should be set. When I had mine in the 60s and early 70s I thought I remembered they were parallel to the door card angle, but it's been too long for my memory to recall it with clarity.

ChuckJ
Current:
2012 Silver 991
1995 Midnight blue 993
1965 Red 356C

Past:
Fond memories of 14 others (including a '63 Normal and a 61 S90) :)

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#3 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Door handle facing forward. Installed at an angle that has the handle just short of touching the door cap when in the locked position.

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#4 Post by Eric McKinley »

Charles,

The tan interior is more correct, the other I believe is pointing the wrong direction.

Here is a picture of mine, again I believe this is correct with maybe a slight downwards tilt.

I am sure Doug will be able to give an exact position.
Attachments
Door.JPG

Charles H Jacobus
356 Fan

#5 Post by Charles H Jacobus »

Thanks Vic and Eric.

ChuckJ
Current:
2012 Silver 991
1995 Midnight blue 993
1965 Red 356C

Past:
Fond memories of 14 others (including a '63 Normal and a 61 S90) :)

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#6 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Bruce Balker's take on the handles: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22026&hilit=inner+door+handle As far as the screw in the rubber one would have to look at an all original never painted car or multiple cars but no 356 I have owned ever had a screw there or evidence of a screw hole for where the rubber puckers.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#7 Post by Eric McKinley »

Here is a picture of a door, it looks to be in the process of restoration.

I can see the screw in place.

However as many as I see with it, I see an equal amount without it.
Attachments
Door 5.JPG

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#8 Post by Mike Wilson »

I, too, wondered about the orientation of the interior door handle and window crank. Checking out the video, "Made by Hand", it looks like the door handle is set at 7:00 o'clock and, with the window down, the crank at 5:00 o'clock.

Personally, with the door locked from the inside and the window up, I like the door handle and window crank facing forward and parallel.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#9 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Personal communication from Bruce Baker who has been restoring them for decades: "The forward door seal rubber was held by a screw and finish washer at the cut overlap primarily on most 356s with the later front seal. The early seal, which was the same as the rear on all, has also been noted to have the additional screw at that cut....but as usual, this is all in the "made by hand" scenario which is in the mantra of "never say never and never say always" in regard to the 356s.

I can say that all of the original 356C cars I have seen had that added screw, even if ignored when the rubber was renewed. The hole was there" And that Eric is "from the horses mouth" IMHO. Or as close to it as I get get.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Chuck House
Registry Hall of Fame

#10 Post by Chuck House »

Every original, unrestored 356 I've seen has had the screw in the front corner of the seal whether early or late type seal. The exception is Drauz built cars, which did not have this screw. I can't say for sure about D'Ieteren Roadsters or very early pre-As.

The first photo shows an unrestored early T1. The second photo shows an unrestored Drauz Roadster (Convertible Ds are the same). Note on the second photo the correct orientation of the door handle on all T2-T6 cars. The rule of thumb is the handle in the resting, unlocked position points to the corner where the aforementioned screw usually is. Of course, T1s and earlier were completely different as far as door handle placement.
Attachments
Details 050.jpg
0411 007.jpg
Chuck House
Southern California

Wil Mittelbach
356 Fan

#11 Post by Wil Mittelbach »

As another reference in addition to Chuck's:-
Herewith a photo of my unrestored 65C cab's door panel, door handle (in lock position), window crank (in window up position) and original door trim with its afore noted trim screw.
All are in their original condition/positions having never been removed/reinstalled.
- Wil
Attachments
DSCN1150-1.JPG

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#12 Post by Eric McKinley »

Doug, Chuck, Wil,

Thank you for taking the time to respond and give me an answer in relation to the door screw.

I know it is such a small detail however it is a detail that Porsche seen fit to place there, so I shall retain it myself.

The handle orientation is another detail that is incorrect in so many cars along with the orientation of the luggage strap brackets.

Good to see an untouched car as yours Wil to use as a reference.

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#13 Post by Greg Bryan »

Good eye, Eric! I'm going to add this to my restored 64 SC cab now that I've seen Wil's picture ...
Greg Bryan

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#14 Post by Eric McKinley »

I bought these from a registry member last year and have just got around to putting them on today.

I do like the look of grills on the headlights, however I understand it is not to everyone's taste.

What I do like about these cars is how easy it is to change the look, bumpers off or on, grills no grills.
Attachments
image.png
image.jpeg

Mark Reich
356 Fan

#15 Post by Mark Reich »

Eric -

I have headlight grills on my T5. I put them on after I holed an asymmetrical Euro lens! I think they look great and are functional, but it certainly is a personal taste. I have grills on my Series 3 Land Rover, but those are a bit more agricultural!

Mark
Mark Reich
'61 T5B Super Coupe - Heron Grey
'18 911 Carrera - Miami Blue