Suggestions to sell project 1965 356 SC

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Greg Ball
356 Fan

Re: Suggestions to sell project 1965 356 SC

#16 Post by Greg Ball »

Thank you to everyone who has responded so generously online and via email. Due to the kindness of registry members, we have confirmed that all numbers match and also learned about the early history of the car. This information is invaluable and we deeply appreciate the knowledge that has been shared with us. The car will be placed on the BAT auction in a few weeks.

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#17 Post by Jules Dielen »

Good luck with your sale Greg!!
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Greg Ball
356 Fan

#18 Post by Greg Ball »

Jules Dielen wrote:Good luck with your sale Greg!!
Thanks for all your help, Jules!

Wil Mittelbach
356 Fan

#19 Post by Wil Mittelbach »

Greg Ball wrote:
Martin, we're in Long Beach, CA. I wouldn't be surprised if another Southern Californian buys it. Thank you for the advice.[/quote wrote: Greg:-
Since you're located in Long Beach, suggest you contact John Willhoit's 356 shop @ 1360 Gladys Ave in Long Beach, tel:(562)439-333, which specializes in 356 restorations and sales. He also purchases candidate cars for his restorations, and may provide you a realistic appraisal and/or cash offer for your car.
- Wil

Greg Ball
356 Fan

#20 Post by Greg Ball »

Wil Mittelbach wrote:
Greg Ball wrote:
Martin, we're in Long Beach, CA. I wouldn't be surprised if another Southern Californian buys it. Thank you for the advice.[/quote wrote: Greg:-
Since you're located in Long Beach, suggest you contact John Willhoit's 356 shop @ 1360 Gladys Ave in Long Beach, tel:(562)439-333, which specializes in 356 restorations and sales. He also purchases candidate cars for his restorations, and may provide you a realistic appraisal and/or cash offer for your car.
- Wil
We'll do that. Thank you, Wil

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#21 Post by Adam Wright »

Greg,
You might want to change a little of the wording of the ad,
"Although there is no CoA present, the chassis #220287 and engine number match the numbers on the provided Kardex."

The Kardex is a far more important and accurate document than a COA, but the wording sounds as if the COA is the end all be all. The Kardex is the original document that they pull the info for the COA, and Porsche is notorious for messing up the info on the COA, but the Kardex is the Kardex.
Porsche guy's know this but someone reading your BAT auction might get the wrong idea and question that the car is matching numbers. I get this when I sell car's and use the Kardex in the auction, people want to see the COA. I politely explain the Kardex is the original factory document that the COA is derived from.

Just a friendly note you might want to update the wording to appeal to everyone. Good luck!
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Greg Ball
356 Fan

#22 Post by Greg Ball »

Adam Wright wrote:Greg,
You might want to change a little of the wording of the ad,
"Although there is no CoA present, the chassis #220287 and engine number match the numbers on the provided Kardex."

The Kardex is a far more important and accurate document than a COA, but the wording sounds as if the COA is the end all be all. The Kardex is the original document that they pull the info for the COA, and Porsche is notorious for messing up the info on the COA, but the Kardex is the Kardex.
Porsche guy's know this but someone reading your BAT auction might get the wrong idea and question that the car is matching numbers. I get this when I sell car's and use the Kardex in the auction, people want to see the COA. I politely explain the Kardex is the original factory document that the COA is derived from.

Just a friendly note you might want to update the wording to appeal to everyone. Good luck!

Great advice, Adam. I will change the listing. Thank you!

Jeffrey Leeds
356 Fan

#23 Post by Jeffrey Leeds »

I have never understood the fascination with getting a COA since the COA is derived from the Kardex. The COA looks nice in a document frame, and has the signature of some Porsche executive/employee, but it's made up primarily as another revenue source for Porsche. Given the choice, there really isn't much of a decision: get the Kardex.

- Jeff
< Jeff >

Registry Member Since 1978
1963 356B T-6 Super 90 Coupe
2009 997.2 Carrera S
2015 958 Cayenne diesel-1 & 2015 958 Cayenne diesel-2

Tom Coughlin
356 Fan
Tag: Go Gators

Re: Suggestions to sell project 1965 356 SC-SOLD

#24 Post by Tom Coughlin »

BAT sales result-$32,567.
 KTF, member #15

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#25 Post by Adam Wright »

The price seems a little on the low side. I sold two matching numbers SC projects this year, they sold for $42,000 and $35,000. I like BAT but I'm still not convinced it's the best way to market a project car to get maximum reach and sale price. Not to mention the peanut gallery atmosphere detracts from serious discussion on the merits of the car. There is a whole group of guys who make a game out of bashing anything that gets put on BAT, they have no interest in buying and probably know little or nothing about the Marque, but still feel the need to call anyone who might bid on it a complete idiot.
Attachments
1.JPG
1.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#26 Post by Doug McDonnell »

In defense of the price the entire underside seemed to be rusted out, and pictures of the underside were limited. But it was obvious floors longitudinals rear frame rails etc were all Swiss Cheese.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Fred Otjen
356 Fan

#27 Post by Fred Otjen »

SCs seem to be preferred over the Cs. I've got a very original driver quality C coupe and would like to trade into to a project SC if someone is interested contact me.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#28 Post by Adam Wright »

fred otjen wrote:SCs seem to be preferred over the Cs. I've got a very original driver quality C coupe and would like to trade into to a project SC if someone is interested contact me.
The SC is the pinnacle of regular 356 production, it really gets no more refined or better handling. There is something to be said for having the last of the line. It's the same reason the 993 is so coveted, it's as good as you'll ever get. Porsche has always made well engineered quality cars and continually refine them over time, so there is really something to be said for having the best that ever was to come out of the Factory.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#29 Post by Jules Dielen »

Adam Wright wrote:
fred otjen wrote:SCs seem to be preferred over the Cs. I've got a very original driver quality C coupe and would like to trade into to a project SC if someone is interested contact me.
The SC is the pinnacle of regular 356 production, it really gets no more refined or better handling. There is something to be said for having the last of the line. It's the same reason the 993 is so coveted, it's as good as you'll ever get. Porsche has always made well engineered quality cars and continually refine them over time, so there is really something to be said for having the best that ever was to come out of the Factory.
996 being the exception to the rule. That POS was engineered by accountants.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Jim Neil
356 Fan

#30 Post by Jim Neil »

Jules Dielen wrote:
Adam Wright wrote:
996 being the exception to the rule. That POS was engineered by accountants.
LOL!!! My first Porsche (and 911) was a '93 RS America (a keeper I shoulda' kept), then a '97 911 Targa; gave that up when I fired my biggest client, leased an E class for 18 months, then got a Boxster S, eventually back into an '04 911 Targa, traded that after 5 months on 997 launch day for a 997S launch car. Loved them all, except the 996 NEVER hit home with me, yes, engineered by accountants! Now have my '09 011 TT, last year of Mezger engine, perfectly configured, love this car and will likely keep it til I croak. 356 is under observation - love it, but no time for it, flip flopping whether to keep or sell.
1960 356 B Coupe
2009 911 Turbo Coupe
2016 Panamera
Gone but not forgotten: 2005 Carrera S, 2004 Targa, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 Targa, 1993 RS America, 2004 Cayenne S, 2005 Cayenne S, 2009 Cayenne S