Shift linkage

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jason Tell
356 Fan

Shift linkage

#1 Post by Jason Tell »

I have a '61 356B Coupe that I am working to make roadworthy. The gear shift is horribly sloppy so I assumed the bushings had disintegrated. I ordered new parts from Stoddard based on what they showed for my vehicle year -- the two bushings for the coupler, the shifter guide ring, and a white ball/mushroom bushing and metal disk that is shown sitting underneath the ball of the gear shift lever. I installed the bushings in the coupler and the shifter guide ring without too much trouble. But, I can't figure out where the metal cup seat and white ball/mushroom bushing goes. Attached are photos. Please advise. Thanks.
Attachments
IMG_1083.JPG
IMG_1084.JPG

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: Shift linkage

#2 Post by Vic Skirmants »

They go where indicated in the catalog drawing. They keep that spring from popping through the reverse detent plate.

Jason Tell
356 Fan

Re: Shift linkage

#3 Post by Jason Tell »

Thanks, Vic. Your description of their purpose -- keeping the spring from popping through the plate -- helped me understand. I was thrown off because there was no plastic bushing in the bracket. I've got it all together now. Next, I need to make a small adjustment to get the shifting a tad more precise.