Poll: Vote on what you would do to capture biggest interest.

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Fred Otjen
356 Fan

Re: Poll: Vote on what you would do to capture biggest inter

#31 Post by Fred Otjen »

Steve, PM me for a guy who can/has done this.

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#32 Post by Martin Bruechle »

Fix the fenders, then repaint the rear of the car.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#33 Post by Martin Benade »

That way you can have a more expensive car that has a beautiful rear half, and by comparison, the rest doesn't look so good.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Steve Raucher
356 Fan

#34 Post by Steve Raucher »

OK I spoke to a craftsman out of State that thinks he can shrink down the original rear flare metal without cutting them out for replacement like others have suggested.
Can anyone recommend an experienced artisan craftsman body man that might take on this project to save orignial metal with thin bead at bottom lip closer to me in SF Bay area or in CA?
Thank you,
Steve
Attachments
IMG_0546.JPG
IMG_0545.JPG

Steve Raucher
356 Fan

#35 Post by Steve Raucher »

Hello fellow 356 enthusiasts,
Big day with return of '58 Speedster #84832 with correct rear fender arches after 44 + years. Craftsmen did a great job retaining the original metal.
I plan on keeping this ride for several years however I know at some point in time the next caretaker will take over and I want to take a poll, please vote on one of three options to capture the largest pool of interested buyers that may pay the most to own this special car.
From time to time I will revisit and take poll again to collate info and help me to decide what to do.
Car only needs a repaint as far as I am concerned. So what would you do if this was your car?
1) Leave it alone.
2) Strip paint, put it in primer and sell so new owner can see what he is getting and paint it his color.
3) Strip paint and re paint it in original Ruby Red color. Could I count on getting back the cost of this paint job at time of sale?
Thank you for your input.
Steve
Attachments
IMG_2713.JPG
IMG_2712.JPG

George Hussey
356 Fan

#36 Post by George Hussey »

restore it to the original color and factory body configuration by all means
George Hussey

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#37 Post by Emil Wojcik »

Looks like they did a great job! Leave it alone if it looks as nice in person as it does in your photos.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

chris romney
356 Fan

#38 Post by chris romney »

If it looks anything like the pictures, it looks great. I'd leave it as is and drive it. That way you can enjoy it and let the next owner decide what he wants to do.

Eric Meyer
356 Fan
Location: California's Central Coast, not quite New Zealand... but close

#39 Post by Eric Meyer »

It looks SO much better now... congratulations! Repainting it will just begin a series of "if I just do this one more thing" decisions and then there goes a bunch of money.. and suddenly the car is perfectly restored and no fun to drive because driving it might scratch it blah blah blah. The car is totally useable now… this is the way a 356 is best. Restored is fun at the car show… and that's it. A little bit funky… but not too funky… is the perfect combo. And you just got rid of the "a bit too funky" part! You can go to the hardware store and toss the odd bits in the car… and not worry about the idiot in the parking lot or the bits you bought maybe scratching the car. IF you get one more door ding it doesn't hurt the value of a car with several door dings. The other thing is that restoring it to red… well… Red is red. Kinda boring. (sorry) I think you mentioned that the engine is not matching… so worrying about matching paint isn't such a big deal… because if the numbers don't match the anal retentive types won't be looking at this car anyway… so if you DO decide to paint it… just paint it a stock color you like… if that's red then so be it. But don't worry if you don't like red…. paint it any color you like from the year it was built.

But again… I really suggest just leaving it as is. That MB dark Blue is a nice color. It looks great with "saddle" leather too btw (see photo attached)… or a really really dark red interior.. If you interior needs fixing… that's a cheap way to feel great about "showing the car some love" … but still not worrying about the overall car.

My only real suggestion would be to gather up a set of the correct A wheels and brakes (if you don't already have them). The C brakes are great for using… but when it's time to sell… you'll get more money if it is set up unmodified. And put back on the overriders and uprights on the bumpers… ;-)

For interior color reference… attached is a photo of my original paint 84 Carrera that was special ordered "paint to sample" Mercedes DB904 navy blue… with a special order to sample full leather interior in Saddle color.
Attachments
IMG_0446.jpg

Eric Meyer
356 Fan
Location: California's Central Coast, not quite New Zealand... but close

#40 Post by Eric Meyer »

Oh… and one more thing… when you do collect up the stock wheels to sell it… don't use chrome ones! Use stock steel… silver painted… (Look up the umpteen thousand threads on correct silver for stock steel wheels). Chrome wheels on speedsters is… well… not really in keeping with the speedster less is more theme. Bottom line though is that it's your car… so do as YOU like for now. My comments are only meant to help you realize top dollar when you sell… and not spend too much now that you might later regret because you stop driving it due to it's newly painted perfection.