Oil leak

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Alex Goodhart
356 Fan

Oil leak

#1 Post by Alex Goodhart »

I have read the posts
Last edited by Alex Goodhart on Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jason Eastman
356 Fan

Re: Oil leak 356 C rear axle bearing after Trans-axle rebuil

#2 Post by Jason Eastman »

I do not have the vast years of experience that others on this site have but as I recall no the bearing can stay in place. I've been through this on one other C. I replaced the O-rings twice before I determined that the oil was in fact wicking through the drift pin at the end of the axle tube. To seal this I drained the tranny and removed the pin. From there it was left to drip all night. I then cleaned the hole thoroughly along with the pin. The pin was coated with loctite 574 and driven home. I allowed 24 hours before refilling. That car remained dry for several years after.

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#3 Post by Dick Weiss »

If the leak is weeping from the pin retaining the axle bearing carrier to the axle tube, the oil will show on the backside of the backing plate near the lower shock mount. Oil showing on the outside of the wheel would be caused by the small O-ring being worn, or in this case, having the wrong shape to seal the axle & hub splines after torquing the axle nut. However, if there's some rotational slop between the axle & hub splines, the O-ring will get damaged from acceleration & deceleration loads--similar to the recent article about the slight loosening of the axle nut, but still pinned. Need not ask about how I know--been thru a couple!

Dick

Glen Getchell
356 Fan

#4 Post by Glen Getchell »

Dick Weiss can you e-mail me? I can't find an e-mail address for you and I have a question on a very old post unrelated 356. Thanks!

Glen Getchell
64Cx2
P.S. Sorry to post in this thread. It was the most recent that I could find Dick was part of.

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#5 Post by Dick Weiss »