Water cooled carburetor

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Water cooled carburetor

#1 Post by David Jones »

Went to check the car over yesterday, 59 coupe with big bore and Solex PII40's to be ready to go to cars n coffee today and smelled gas. Right hand carb was soaking wet. Strange thing was it was wet with water.
Further checking found gas dripping down the throat. Evaporating gas was cooling the carb enough that the high humidity was allowing lots of moisture to condense out on the carb body. Left hand carb was of course bone dry. Figured it was a leaking float valve so just pulled the carb as it was easier than messing with it in the car. It was not the float valve but a leaking float. Robbed one from another carb and set the float height again. Re-installed and all was good again.
Moral of the story is to not think because it was OK yesterday that it will be OK today. It had only been a few days since I had last driven it.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

Re: Water cooled carburetor

#2 Post by Dan Epperly »

David Jones wrote:Went to check the car over yesterday, 59 coupe with big bore and Solex PII40's to be ready to go to cars n coffee today and smelled gas. Right hand carb was soaking wet. Strange thing was it was wet with water.
Further checking found gas dripping down the throat. Evaporating gas was cooling the carb enough that the high humidity was allowing lots of moisture to condense out on the carb body. Left hand carb was of course bone dry. Figured it was a leaking float valve so just pulled the carb as it was easier than messing with it in the car. It was not the float valve but a leaking float. Robbed one from another carb and set the float height again. Re-installed and all was good again.
Moral of the story is to not think because it was OK yesterday that it will be OK today. It had only been a few days since I had last driven it.

They like to break down when not driven.