Factory Fresh Air Blower in T-6 Car, who has one?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Eric Lenius
356 Fan
Tag: More is More

Factory Fresh Air Blower in T-6 Car, who has one?

#1 Post by Eric Lenius »

Do you have a T-6 that has a factory installed fresh air blower (listed on COA)? If so, I would very much appreciate pictures of the installation in the battery compartment and particularly any numbers on the relay that is mounted to the left of the blower motor.

Any help?

Regards,

Eric Lenius

Eric Lenius
356 Fan

Re: Factory Fresh Air Blower in T-6 Car, who has one?

#2 Post by Eric Lenius »

This car has a factory blower installation and is certainly not over restored. Does anyone know who bought this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-Porsche-35 ... 7675.l2557

Thanks,

Eric L.

Eric Lenius
356 Fan

#3 Post by Eric Lenius »

More background. The question I am trying to answer is what the correct relay is for the fresh air blower. Review of the B, T-6 B Supplement and the C supplement parts manuals reveals that the Porsche part number was 644.615.101.01. This was also the part number listed for the BN4 heater relay. There has been some speculation that perhaps the blower relay is the same as the horn relay. It is odd that Porsche chose to have a different part number for the blower relay if it was the same as the horn relay. Or if the relay was changed in some small way, warranting a new part number, why was the part number not changed in the parts manual supplements for the horn relay? I am seeking to determine what the number marked on the relay case actually is. Later, the PET lists part number PCG.615.101.00 for the Blower, horn and Fog light relays. Apparently, they introduced a universal replacement part.

So, the question remains. What would be helpful would be to find someone who has a car with a factory installed blower.

Regards,

Eric L.

Relays
B Parts Manual T-5 B Parts Supplement T-6 C Parts Supplement
Horn 644.615.101.00 No Change No change
(WH-8/1/St/K)
Fog Light 644.615.105.00 No Change No change
(W-594/P/St)
BN4 NA 644.615.101.01 No change

Fresh Air Blower NA 644.615.101.01 No change

Eric Lenius
356 Fan

#4 Post by Eric Lenius »

My formatting on my "table" of the parts manual failed me when posted. NA means that there was no part number since the blower was not available for T-5 etc.

ZIMMERMANN JEan-Luc
356 Fan

#5 Post by ZIMMERMANN JEan-Luc »

According to an older article of the magazine vol 36 numb 5 (pages 64-65), it's a Wehrle (horn) relay that was originally used.

I have a fresh air blower installed on my car, but it's not mentioned on the COA. I have the original dash vent controller. This is curious because this controller was not part of the dealer installed unit and was only used for original factory installations ...

Eric Lenius
356 Fan

#6 Post by Eric Lenius »

The idea that the dash only vent controller is a factory only part is an interesting theory. More research is needed to validate it. Unmolested cars with blowers on the COA should be inspected for early and late T-6 production. It might be that the relay is in fact just the horn relay. It is mysterious that Porsche gave it a new part number...

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#7 Post by Brad Ripley »

Unless your car is a perfect concours winner, here's a currently available "open contact" relay - cheap - http://www.stoddard.com/64461510501-nla.html

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#8 Post by Mike Wilson »

Would a regular horn relay work as well?

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#9 Post by Brad Ripley »

Mike, I guess you are referring to an original horn relay. I suggested a modern plastic one because there are no new originals to purchase. Of course there are used originals on Ebay, etc with either bullet or spade connections -- all offered at "strong" prices. The little plastic ones sell for $18 and even down to $10.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#10 Post by Mike Wilson »

Absolutely correct, Brad. I know the headlight and starter relay kits use the new relays. Eric is trying gather the correct parts. Looking at the B Supplemental parts manual and Joe Leoni's schematics, both the horn relay and the blower/heater relay have 5 terminals with the same numbers on the terminals. They are wired differently as the blower and heater could only be activated with the ignition on. The horns can be activated without the ignition on.

Thanks for attending and supporting the Huntington Beach Concours. Much appreciated!

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Eric Lenius
356 Fan

#11 Post by Eric Lenius »

The horn relays do work. That is what Alex M. has in his installation. As said by Mike above, the blower relay is a normally open single pole, single throw relay that functions as an interlock to prevent operation of the blower when the ignition is off (actually not sure about acc position but I bet it works there too). The use of the relay keeps from running all of the blower current (about 1.2 A when on high, probably higher starting current) through the ignition switch. My goal is to figure out what the Wehrle relay part number is on a car with a factory installation or two (I mean on the COA, some people confuse the term factory). It seems there must be some difference between the horn relay and the blower relay since Porsche listed different part numbers for them. Or.......

As the parts manuals and supplement indicate, there was no change of the horn relays and the fog light relays with the transition from T-5 to T-6. The introduction of the BN4 heater and the blower in the T-6 introduced the part number for the blower relay and it is different from the other relays.

Trying to make my "table" make more sense:

Relays
B Parts Manual T-5/ B Parts Supplement T-6 /C Parts Supplement
Horn: 644.615.101.00/ No Change/ No change , Wehrle part number:(WH-8/1/St/K)
Fog Light: 644.615.105.00/ No Change/ No change, Wehrle part number: (W-594/P/St)
BN4: NA /644.615.101.01/ No change, Wehrle part number: ?
Fresh Air Blower: NA/ 644.615.101.01/ No change, Wehrle part number: ?

Regards, Eric L.

ZIMMERMANN JEan-Luc
356 Fan

#12 Post by ZIMMERMANN JEan-Luc »

Hi Eric

the relay on my car is a Wehrle WH-8/1/St/D or ST/P ??? 6 Volt

below a picture

As said, no idea if the blower was factory mounted or added later.
Attachments
IMG_5483.jpg
IMG_5492.jpg
Last edited by ZIMMERMANN JEan-Luc on Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alex Mestas
356 Fan
Tag: It’s only a hobby.

#13 Post by Alex Mestas »

As a data point.... If the Wehrle Relay that JEan-Luc posted is attached to a relay bracket (relay holder 644 615 015 02) it's most likely a unit that was installed at the factory. My Behr Fresh Air blower is functioning with a WH-8/1/St/K relay.
1963 356 T-6 Coupe Signal Red.
1973.5 911 T Coupe Ivory.
1989 911 Carrera Targa Grd Prix White.

ZIMMERMANN JEan-Luc
356 Fan

#14 Post by ZIMMERMANN JEan-Luc »

yes, the relay is attached to a mount bracket.

I could'nt find any reference on the net for a WH-8/1/St/D relay :?: :?: :?:

Eric Lenius
356 Fan

#15 Post by Eric Lenius »

Thank you Jean-Luc!!!! As Alex points out. The presence of a relay bracket is the good step in the direction of a correct installation. As you can see in the picture, there is a stud visible below the relay which belies the presence of the bracket.

Hey Jean Luc, while we are at it, can we get a picture of your dash control? What is the year and model of your car?

Ok, now to be really annoying. If you have a chance, can you take the relay back out and measure the DC resistance of the relay coil?

Thanks Again!

Regards,

Eric L.