Fog Light question -

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Warren Tomlin
356 Fan

Fog Light question -

#1 Post by Warren Tomlin »

Hi all -

First I did search all the past posts and see wiring diagrams - but honestly, I am pretty handy - but electric/wiring is my nemesis.

Ok - the scenario. 1959 Coupe with NLA Fogs

There appears to be what I assume to be a factory (period correct) fog switch already installed to the left of the ignition

Factory wiring on pass side in front has hot and ground

Factory wiring on driver side appears to just have hot (both wound in circles) - do not see a ground

I have a pair of the old Marchals NLA was making years back - connected the pass wires (hot and ground) (not grounded to body) and when I turn on ignition no issues, and pull switch - nice bright light from single light. Perfect 1/2 way there.

When I try to add the driver side hot wire and ground to anything - when the ignition is turned on, both fogs appear on and dim - when the switch is pulled, the light just goes to the pass - and appears normal and bright.

When I try to wire the driver fog off the hot and ground off the passenger side - when I turn ignition on, dim fogs >and< dim headlights - when I pull switch headlights go out, and passenger side gets bright (normal bright).

I will try grounding the passenger side in the morning - any ideas? Does the ground have to be attached also to body if I have a strong single foglight/normal behaviour on one side?

Any help always appreciated! Warren