Polished aluminum or Chrome Bumper Guards?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Steve Joslin
356 Fan

Polished aluminum or Chrome Bumper Guards?

#1 Post by Steve Joslin »

Hi All,

I'm in the process of restoring my '58 Coupe and am interested to hear the opinion of other registry members regarding the replacement of my bumper guards.

I currently have aluminum bumper guards and was considering replacing these with the chrome alternative. Would this be in keeping with the year and does anyone know if it was a Porsche supplied option?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Gert Gehlhaar
356 Fan

#2 Post by Gert Gehlhaar »

I had mine aluminum ones polished by a local Metal Restorer that does all sorts of different type of metal polishing. He did my four for about $100 bucks and they look brand new. This is original and lot less than chrome ones would cost. Good Luck.

charles kourmpates

Re: Polished aluminum or Chrome Bumper Guards?

#3 Post by charles kourmpates »

Steve Joslin wrote:Hi All,

I currently have aluminum bumper guards and was considering replacing these with the chrome alternative.

Thanks in advance Steve
Steve,

I'm glad my "D" has chrome bumper guards. If I was you, I'd keep the originals and get them chromed.

I'm tempted to have the hood handle chromed. :)

Charles

Bill Coghlan
356 Fan

Restoring Bumperettes

#4 Post by Bill Coghlan »

I had my '59 bumperettes restored by Bob Chase in Bakersfield last year. It took a couple of months for him to be satisfied enough to return them to me but the final results are flawless. My front ones had significant road rash and Bob was able to get them looking like factory new. He had a booth at the Literature Show in February with a few examples of his work. He offered me the option of polishing but recommended the chrome. He's listed in the vendors section of the Registry website.

Royal M Howard
356 Fan

to chrome or not to chrome

#5 Post by Royal M Howard »

Hi Steve, I also have a 1958 coupe with aluminum bumper guards. I think the chrome ones look so much better! I have read that the chrome ones were optional.
Royal M Howard