Contributing Member or Opportunist?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

Contributing Member or Opportunist?

#1 Post by Mark Sabbann »

I parked two 356s in a prominent spot at Road America this weekend - one for sale with signs and flyers on the windshield and one not. At one point I came back to the cars to find two flyers for two other for-sale 356s under the wiper of my not-for-sale car. I recognized the name on the flyers as another 356 Registry member from the Midwest and later found that he has been a member for 6 years, has never made a post to the Forum and only appears to use the Classifieds section to sell cars. I don’t know him personally but he posted his ads on my car without my permission. I haven’t contacted the other seller yet but I find it pretty tacky and don’t appreciate the practice of one Registry member using another for personal gain. Comments?
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'
1965 C Coupe 'The Yellow Delicious'

George Walling
356 Fan

Re: Contributing Member or Opportunist?

#2 Post by George Walling »

Sorry to read this. I guess it is just the way are society is heading no one seem to have any respect or self right, and as are membership change we will have these type of people join. All we can do is hope it is held to a just a few. Good luck on your sale.

George
George E Walling

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#3 Post by Emil Wojcik »

Since he already gave his name on the flyers he isn't trying to hide, so there can't be any legitimate reason he could mind mentioning his name here. I'd like to know who this member is.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#4 Post by David Jones »

He should not object as it is going to be free advertising.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#5 Post by Wes Bender »

Certainly not a contributor, but maybe not really an opportunist either. A social faux pas at the very least. I could see it happening on the spur of the moment, but one would think second thoughts might cause the individual to go back and remove his flyers, and maybe even leave an apologetic note. Your unsigned car looked a lot better to him than some utility pole.

I guess we've got all kinds stashed away in our group. My personal pet peeve has to do with the ones who are always trying to get us to place a value on some item that you know they are going to sell. Easier to ask us than to do the research themselves. I don't even bother to look, let alone offer assistance to them.

Cheers,
Wes
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Jim Clement
356 Fan
Tag: 1957 356 A Coupe

#6 Post by Jim Clement »

I would simply write on all of his adds that the cars are full of rust..

Bruce Hagopian
356 Fan

#7 Post by Bruce Hagopian »

Send your story along with copies of the flyers to the folks that run Road America. I'm sure they won't be happy with someone circumventing the fees for commercial activities at their event. Putting a for sale sign on your personal vehicle is one thing, but, operating commercially is another. The legitimate vendors on site pay a pretty good fee for the privilege to operate on premises. Road America will probably let him know and be on the watch for him in the future.
Bruce Hagopian

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#8 Post by Martin Benade »

Were the flyers on display under your wipers, or folded up for you to open and see? Folded wouldn't have bothered me, using my car as a display board would not have pleased me.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

#9 Post by Mark Sabbann »

Thanks everyone for your comments. I know it's just a 'slice of life' and not a huge deal, but it just kind of irked me. I won't promote the seller further by revealing his name. Road America allows posting For Sale signs in a couple of places on site, and competitors often have signs posted in their pit areas etc. If RA finds your sign somewhere they don't want it, they will make you take it down. The worst example of this practice was the two Mercedes-For-Sale signs posted on the back wall in EVERY Porta-Potty. That guy has to go back to every one and remove his signs, meaning he (or a helper) has visited every Porta Potty, TWICE. My buddy who was with me knows the Mercedes guy and has seen the same thing done in previous years at the track.
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'
1965 C Coupe 'The Yellow Delicious'

Thomas Sottile
356 Fan

#10 Post by Thomas Sottile »

Hay forgetaboutit, this is what our society has evolved into, personal rights or privacy are no longer a concern to many. Manners are a thing of the past just drive down any highway and you see lack of any concern for the next guy or gal. stay well Tom
Last edited by Thomas Sottile on Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Herlin E. Woolery
356 Fan

#11 Post by Herlin E. Woolery »

This happen to me not to long ago trying to sell my truck that is on a busy street and i found a real estate sign on the back window of my truck, of all the nerve of some people, and company's, hope fully the member will come out of hiding and apologize to you Mark
Herlin

David Foster
356 Fan

#12 Post by David Foster »

This scenario is annoying, poor etiquette of course. However at a recent cars and coffee, i returned to my car to find a large chinese man sitting in it a pawing the wheel and controls. Despite the language barrier I could not have been clearer this was not allowed he got out but continued to touch the bodywork and wheel then his companion did the same.

The English crowd sternly rebuked him with their sotto voce "tuts" and deadly stares !

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#13 Post by Jim Liberty »

Any of you that have driven in So. Cal., know all about our society turning toward hostility. Usually these kind of people have no clue. So talking to them is like talking to the wall.
Jim Liberty