torque multiplier tool

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

Re: torque multiplier tool

#16 Post by Dave Wildrick »

fred otjen wrote:Jason and all, if I could find the drum removal sector gear it might help. So if someone has a spare sector gear please PM me. Here's all I have now:
Ab Tiedemann was selling the sector gear for between $100 and $150 about 10 years ago when I bought mine. I don't know if he has any left, but why don't you just get an old VW flywheel and get someone to cut it in half. Has to be the cheap way to go, as David Jones pointed out above. To be safe I would look for a 36hp or 40 hp VW flywheel from a late 1950s to 1965 bug.
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

Ron Delmendo
356 Fan

#17 Post by Ron Delmendo »

Hi Jason and Fred-

I have the drum gear for the torque multiplier, and would be happy to send you guys. It does have the VW drum lug spacing and needs to be drilled out for Porsche lugs. I used the tool for fly wheel nuts and use a 5ft breaker bar for the axle nuts. You're welcome to it if I can find it.

Otherwise, Ron LaDow's solution is sturdy and elegant. Perhaps you can get him to sell you the other half of the fly-wheel?
Cheers,

Ron

'61 Roadster Outlaw
'69 911E ROW Coupe
'68 911 SWT project
‘18 Macan

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#18 Post by David Jones »

Any VW flywheel will do if you have both gears as supplied with the torquemeister. I do have an extra VW flywheel at hand and I will see what my local machine shop will charge to cut it in half. Shipping may be reasonable if it can be cut to fit in a medium flat rate box. If any one has any interest let me know and I will ascertain final cost with a small charge for the flywheel half.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Jason Tell
356 Fan

#19 Post by Jason Tell »

Fred: if you are willing to lend me your tool I would be willing to pay half the cost to get the flywheel cut and shipped to Portland (I am assuming it wouldn't cost more than $30-40). If you no longer want the tool I could pay David the full cost to get the flywheel to Portland and I would take the tool off your hands.

Either way works for me. I'm glad to have found this site with people willing to help each other.

And, if any of you are knowledgeable about brake drums I am about to post a new topic so keep an eye out for it.

Thanks all,

Jason

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#20 Post by David Jones »

On Amazon right now. Looking for one for a friend as I am not quite ready to bequeath mine.
https://www.amazon.com/Appletree-Automo ... 0SAE2D951S
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Jason Tell
356 Fan

#21 Post by Jason Tell »

David: Thanks for sharing. Do you know if this is setup for our 356's or does it need to be modified?

John Weyand
356 Fan

#22 Post by John Weyand »

That unit will work on the flywheel and axle nut on the "wide-5". To use it on the "C", 911 and 912 you need Tiedemann's adapter.
John W
'64 "C" coupe

Jason Tell
356 Fan

#23 Post by Jason Tell »

I've got a 356B so sounds like it would work for me.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#24 Post by David Jones »

Jason you will have to drill out the drum brake stud holes from the 10mm VW size to 12mm to use it on a 356.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Jason Tell
356 Fan

#25 Post by Jason Tell »

OK, slight modification needed. Thanks.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#26 Post by Ron LaDow »

David Jones wrote:Jason you will have to drill out the drum brake stud holes from the 10mm VW size to 12mm to use it on a 356.
Old fart (faulty?) memory:
I thought those things were pretty hard and it took some carbide cutting tools to change that.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#27 Post by David Jones »

I did mine on my drill press. I guess I did not know any better than to try.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#28 Post by David Jones »

I was wrong on the size to drill the wheel stud holes to. Should be 12mm up to 14mm. Still the extra 2mm though.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Jason Tell
356 Fan

#29 Post by Jason Tell »

I bought the tool online and had a machine shop drill out the holes to 14mm. It's ready to do its job once I finish up the work I am doing -- replacing bearings, braking system, etc.

Also, a big THANK YOU to Fred Otjen! He lent me his rear axle bearing puller tool, which worked like a charm, once I figured out how it operates. He also took the time to look over my car and shared some of his considerable knowledge about these cars.

-Jason

Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

#30 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

David Jones wrote:Jason you will have to drill out the drum brake stud holes from the 10mm VW size to 12mm to use it on a 356.
No, you need to increase to 14 mm to use on the 356. VW uses a fastener that has a head the shape of a lug nut. And the VW fastener may be 12 mm not 10mm.
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"