torque multiplier tool

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

Re: torque multiplier tool

#31 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

Ron LaDow wrote:
David Jones wrote:Jason you will have to drill out the drum brake stud holes from the 10mm VW size to 12mm to use it on a 356.
Old fart (faulty?) memory:
I thought those things were pretty hard and it took some carbide cutting tools to change that.
Yes, they are pretty hard[surface] and it is attributable to the chill technique used in the casting process.
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"

Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

#32 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

Dave Wildrick wrote:
fred otjen wrote:Jason and all, if I could find the drum removal sector gear it might help. So if someone has a spare sector gear please PM me. Here's all I have now:
Ab Tiedemann was selling the sector gear for between $100 and $150 about 10 years ago when I bought mine. I don't know if he has any left, but why don't you just get an old VW flywheel and get someone to cut it in half. Has to be the cheap way to go, as David Jones pointed out above. To be safe I would look for a 36hp or 40 hp VW flywheel from a late 1950s to 1965 bug.
Yes, I made some more. They cost $160 now, but they are also powder coated and they fit in a small USPS priority flat rate box. It is an engineered product for the application so you do not get a hernia with outstretched arms trying to put half the flywheel on the studs and then finding a place to store it when you are done.
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"

Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

#33 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

Greg Bryan wrote:I bought the tool for about $80 in June and have used it 5 times already - flywheels and VW rear axle nuts. It's a great tool. I have the cheater bars and huge torque wrench, but I will always use this tool now - it just so easy to use. the only thing I did to mine was increase the chamfer on the outer edge of the flywheel side of the tool so that it fits more snugly on the Porsche flywheel bolt.
I haven't tried it on the C axle nut and I have a feeling the spacing for the smaller bolt pattern is set up for VW 4 bolt hubs and not the C 5 bolt.

Your feeling is correct!
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"

Bill Oldham
356 Fan

#34 Post by Bill Oldham »

I missed most of the discussion but with disk brakes I modified my TM by welding on a piece and drilling for disk brake pattern. I can photograph when I get back to CA if anyone is interested.
Bill

Bruce Hagopian
356 Fan

#35 Post by Bruce Hagopian »

Would this tool do the job OK? There is a planetary gear inside the head and input torque is mulitplied 3 times at the output side.
61b9ELFSFrL._SL1000_.jpg
Bruce Hagopian

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#36 Post by David Jones »

I think it should work very well but for the price you could buy two Torquemeisters with the ancillary parts.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Bruce Hagopian
356 Fan

#37 Post by Bruce Hagopian »

There are some on E-Bay for under $200. When comparing to the toruemeister plus Ab's $160 adaptor, it starts to look better. Maybe not so much if you have a spare VW flywheel laying around use. Although, it can be used for other applications.
Bruce Hagopian

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#38 Post by David Jones »

Bruce the need for the tool from Ab is only for the "C" and is probably worth every penny when it comes to the crunch and you need to get a "C" rear axle nut off, but you are also correct in that it would be cheaper to buy one of those tools to do the same job. In the case of the drum brake cars the torquemeister with stud holes drilled out to 14mm covers all eventualities.
I have both varieties and being a cheapskate and having access to a machine shop at work before I retired I took advantage of that fact and cut a flywheel in half and drilled it out or should I say I got one of the machinists to do it for me. Any VW flywheel will do as there is a 6 and 12 volt gearwheel supplied in the kit.
Picture attached of the half flywheel at work before the car was restored.
Attachments
T'meister adapter for C.jpg
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Dan Macdonald
356 Fan

#39 Post by Dan Macdonald »

Guys,
I have one of Ab Tiedemann's tools for the Torque Multiplier.
Do you remember what the multiplication factor is with Ab's tool? 9 to 1 or???? Is it different than the "stock" tool?
Dan Macdonald 
'59 A Coupe (105327) 
'57 Speedster (82954) 
Registry #1921 (1982) 
DMAIA@aol.com
My YouTube Channel: Tinmeister 356

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#40 Post by David Jones »

Dan, as I remember the tool Ab sold was a clone of the torquemeister but with enhancements to allow it to be used with both 356 drums and discs whereas the original Torquemeister only did vw drums. So the answer to your question is that it is still 9 to 1.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Dan Macdonald
356 Fan

#41 Post by Dan Macdonald »

Thanks David!
Dan Macdonald 
'59 A Coupe (105327) 
'57 Speedster (82954) 
Registry #1921 (1982) 
DMAIA@aol.com
My YouTube Channel: Tinmeister 356

Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

#42 Post by Mark Sabbann »

David Jones wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:57 pm Dan, as I remember the tool Ab sold was a clone of the torquemeister but with enhancements to allow it to be used with both 356 drums and discs whereas the original Torquemeister only did vw drums. So the answer to your question is that it is still 9 to 1.
I wonder if the 'Torque Dude' available from Al Zim is the same ratio. Al?
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'
1965 C Coupe 'The Yellow Delicious'

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#43 Post by David Jones »

Torque dude is a copy of the torquemeister so the same ratio. There are more than a few copies from different manufacturers/vendors for sale out there.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

#44 Post by Mark Sabbann »

When attempting to use this type of torque tool to remove a flywheel, what is the best way to secure the engine? In an engine stand? Strapped to something heavy? What works the best?
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'
1965 C Coupe 'The Yellow Delicious'

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#45 Post by David Jones »

Mark. You do not need to secure it. Just apply the torque at the opposite point to the rotation vector and the rotation force cancels out.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715