Zenith 32 Super No Accelerator Squirt

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dick Weiss
356 Fan

Re: Zenith 32 Super No Accelerator Squirt

#16 Post by Dick Weiss »

Lynn,

During my many years of carb rebuilding (especially Zeniths), I've had similar problems of getting the injection nozzles to squirt properly--especially straight down w/proper amounts w/2-strokes. Several were clogged
and I used a .013"wire to poke out the tiny orifice and use a metric or # drill to its main hole & make sure it
bottoms out just using my fingers!

However, there were 2-or-3 that didn't have the proper internal connection and it just dribbled the gas.
Measuring the orifice to the nozzle's end, there was a difference of about .015"-.020" compared to correct nozzles.

Finally, the leather cup on the vertical pump plunger gets stiff w/age (or less use) as there should be a slight
'drag-feeling' when entering the bore in the body; Also, its spring underneath should be flexible--I use my fingers
& a little silicon paste and 'work it' into the cup. Of course, it must be unhooked from the top cover, but if the cup has a worn lip, replace the plunger.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#17 Post by Ron LaDow »

Lynn Sheeley wrote:Yes.
And where, specifically, did the problem show up?
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Lynn Sheeley
356 Fan
Tag: Thunder Road Tubs

#18 Post by Lynn Sheeley »

I didn't fully disclose because didn't want to show my stupidity.

I had freshly rebuilt, soaked, cleaned, new gaskets, clear jets carbs when this all started.

I attached a dirty metal fuel line to the pass side carb--the one that the accel jets will not squirt using the
accel pump. The new electric fuel pump dumped the dirt in the fresh Pass side carb. That is the root cause
of the problem.

After initial cleaning with spray carb cleaner and compressed air, I replaced both the accel suction valve and the
accel pump check valve.

I tried all the suggestions posted here.

1. The accel jets blow with carb spray from behind with a jet removed.
2. Both accel pump valves are new and clean.
3. I get bubble in the accel pump cavity blowing thru either accel jet hole with
jet removed.
4. I get bubbles in the accel pump cavity with the accel suction valve removed and blowing air thru
its mounting hole.
5. I do not think the accel check valve is stuck.
6. Removing the small screw on face of carb and pumping accel pump cavity, I get fluid out of the opening.

Accel jets still do not squirt using either new accel pump

So I started over.

I dissassembled the carb. Soaked for 2 days in gal can of carb clean soaker. Also soaked
the jets with new o rings removed. Reassembled carb. Of course . . .

The accel jets will still not pump using either new accel pump.

Retried all the steps above with no results.

There is obviously a blackage from the small hole in the side of the accel jet mounting
that goes to the pump cavity. Just don't know any other way to clear it.

There is not a blockage from the tiny hole in the accel jet back to the jet bolt that covers
it. They spray free with carb spray.

I tried putting carb cleaner in the base of the pump piston chamber, sticking compressed
air with a fuel line on end over the end of the accel pump check valve to try to blow back
to the accel valve cavity but that didn't do it either.

If it wasn't a super carb, I would just try another carb body from our parts stash.
Lynn Sheeley III
61 Notchback Coupe #200364
Registry Member #1350