hardtop

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Larry Anderson
356 Fan

hardtop

#1 Post by Larry Anderson »

Time to store my factory 356 hardtop for the summer. Anyone have a cradle, preferably with wheels, that can be used to store the top and roll it to the garage or workshop?

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: hardtop

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Larry: Google "hardtop storage cradle" on eBay. There are several types, fairly inexpensive, including hoists if you want to store yours overhead.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Roger Shapiro
356 Fan
Tag: Still searching for the Holy Grill

#3 Post by Roger Shapiro »

Larry,
I have one left over from a recent restoration. On rollers. Folds up for shipping. I also think I have the storage cover. $40.00 plus shipping. Interested?
Roger Shapiro
Roger Shapiro

Steve Raucher
356 Fan

#4 Post by Steve Raucher »

Roger and others;
Whats your opinion on storing an aftermarket Speedster Fibersteel Fiberglass Hardtop on this type of stand? Is it true that top could deform etc?
Regards,
Steve

Roger Shapiro
356 Fan
Tag: Still searching for the Holy Grill

#5 Post by Roger Shapiro »

Steve, I've never actually placed a fiberglass top onto a storage rack. But if placed with the rear window down and inwards and the top resting against the uprights. I believe this just might work. If you are really worried, why not place some temporary braces between the rear lip and the windshield lip.
Roger Shapiro

Ron Delmendo
356 Fan

#6 Post by Ron Delmendo »

Hi Larry, Roger's offer is fantastic if you want a cradle! I considered a cradle to store my hardtop but don't really have the floor space, so I use a hoist. Was around $150 from Performance Products many years ago and is easy to use.

Steve, before I obtained my Plastikon(?) hardtop, it was stored for 30+ years resting on the back edge cowl as Roger suggests. There did not appear to be any deformation in the top, it basically fit on my Roadster with adjustment of the side and window latches. Originally, it was on my friends Conv D that he bought in the early 70's and stored off the car since.
Cheers,

Ron

'61 Roadster Outlaw
'69 911E ROW Coupe
'68 911 SWT project
‘18 Macan