Searching for a shifter

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Graham Kerr
356 Fan

Searching for a shifter

#1 Post by Graham Kerr »

I have recently finished the re-build of my left hand drive 356B. Everything is pretty much OK but getting the car into reverse gear is a real pain, and the throw of the shift lever to the forward gears seems very long too. I know you can buy some trick shifters for the 911 and way back when in my VW owning years I recall you used to be able to get a little alloy plate which went under the gear lever and this made things a bit easier. So does anybody know if you can get hold of a race type shift lever or is there a modification that would make changing gear and especially getting into reverse easier.
86 SSE Turbo Look 3.2 Carrera
Cole Foster Chop
75 Honda ST70
94 Buell ST2
74 Dax Cobra
18 Macan Turbo
62 356B T6 (modified)

Charles H Jacobus
356 Fan

Re: Searching for a shifter

#2 Post by Charles H Jacobus »

Graham:
In the back seat area on the floorboard center tunnel there is a carpeted piece. If you remove it, you will find an adjustment / connector for the transmission shaft (see picture I stole from Doug. Thank you Doug :) ). When people take the engine out of the car, many times they do not get the linkage adjustment correct after putting it back in. The adjustment will compensate for for and aft as will as left to right adjustments. Before you make any adjustments you need to mark on the bar going to the transmission its exact position in the adjustment clamp. Be very careful when making adjustments (not more than 1/8" L&R / F&A) at a time. Clamp the solid rod that goes to the transmission with a small vice grip so you can maintain control of it, then slide it LorR, ForA inside the clamp end. Tighten the clamp and try it. Adjust as necessary.

In the car I just bought, the adjustment was like yours F&A but it was also off to the right so it was almost two far to reach 3rd gear j(LH drive). This is usually adjusted wrong in most cars and only people who have owned or worked on the cars when they were new will be aware it is setup wrong.

ChuckJ
Attachments
Shift link connection.jpg
Last edited by Charles H Jacobus on Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Current:
2012 Silver 991
1995 Midnight blue 993
1965 Red 356C

Past:
Fond memories of 14 others (including a '63 Normal and a 61 S90) :)

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#3 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Your reverse plate may be worn: http://www.stoddard.com/69542401501.html And if it is then you will have more trouble shifting into reverse than you should. Also if shifting is sloppy it will make a huge difference to rebuild shift bushings. Article is for C but B is similar: https://porsche356registry.org/article/37 When all is correct shift throws will be longer than newer cars but will be smooth and shift like a warm knife through butter. It is critical when adjusting that the lower part of the shifter be 90 degrees to the floor when in neutral plane. If not 1-3 shifts or 2-4 shifts will have longer throws. After 1st redoing the bushings on my 1st 356 38 years ago I have done it on every 356 I have owned. Once you have experienced a correctly set up shifter you won't settle for less.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

#4 Post by Dave Wildrick »

Graham Kerr wrote:I have recently finished the re-build of my left hand drive 356B. Everything is pretty much OK but getting the car into reverse gear is a real pain, and the throw of the shift lever to the forward gears seems very long too. I know you can buy some trick shifters for the 911 and way back when in my VW owning years I recall you used to be able to get a little alloy plate which went under the gear lever and this made things a bit easier. So does anybody know if you can get hold of a race type shift lever or is there a modification that would make changing gear and especially getting into reverse easier.
If your car is a T-6 (late 356B with gas filler flap on outside of front trunk), you might take a look at John Willhoit's kit, which replaces your current shift lever and does exactly what you are asking about--for $495 (U.S. dollars).
See http://willhoit-auto-restoration.mybigc ... t-shifter/
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

Graham Kerr
356 Fan

#5 Post by Graham Kerr »

Thanks guys, done all that and it's defo a bit better but I still think I'll get one of the trick shifters next time in LA which I reckon will be the '18 Lit Meet altho I might just get over for Bakersfield reunion in October.
Cole Foster Chop
75 Honda ST70
94 Buell ST2
74 Dax Cobra
18 Macan Turbo
62 356B T6 (modified)

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#6 Post by Mike Wilson »

Graham: As said, adjustment will correct the difficulty going into reverse as well as checking and repkacing the plastic bushings as needed. However, as Dave posted, the Willhoit short shift kit is available. I found it to be a bit "notchy" so I reverted to my stock shifter. If interested, I can make you a deal on the Willhoit kit. I should also mention that if you use the short shift kit, the shift lock becomes inoperable.

Graham Kerr...the Galloping Gourmet?!

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Graham Kerr
356 Fan

#7 Post by Graham Kerr »

Hi Mike,
Bit of a late reply but yesterday I received my Willhoit shifter kit via FedEx air. I couldn't wait for Bakersfield so I ordered one off the web. I got it fitted and it is a bit notchy but what an improvement in the shift throws, just like a British sports car! I haven't tried it out on the road yet because I am currently having an issue with my rear hub assemblies - they are leaking oil, so I wait for the postie/mailman to drop a pair of seal kits from Stoddards through my letterbox and I can then sort out that problem.
And although the name is the same I am not our old wine swilling friend 'the galloping gourmet' although I do wield a mean fry pan when put to the test!
Outlaws forever!
Cole Foster Chop
75 Honda ST70
94 Buell ST2
74 Dax Cobra
18 Macan Turbo
62 356B T6 (modified)

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#8 Post by Mike Wilson »

John's kit is notchy but has a very positive feel.

I can imagine you with the fry pan in one hand and a glass of wine in the other! Cheers!

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe