Voltage Reg Screw Terminal

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
gregg hake
356 Fan

Voltage Reg Screw Terminal

#1 Post by gregg hake »

Hi

My Bosch voltage regulator has some big 'ol spade attachment points on the 61 and B+ connectors of the regulator.

My Y N Z harness has ring connectors on it. Is there a spade-> screw-type connector adapter that made the regulator spade connector into a screw type for the ring terminals on the Y N Z harness?

If so, what are these called?

Thanks
Gregg
Attachments
VoltReg.tiff

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Voltage Reg Screw Terminal

#2 Post by David Jones »

Greg, two options.
Cut the ring connector to a "C" shape and connect it under the terminal or cut them off and tin the ends and attach them by clamping. If that is what it looks like an original style regulator they are not spade terminals but end clamp terminals meant for a tinned wire at that point to be installed.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#3 Post by Martin Benade »

If you have what I think you have, you can drill a hole in the spade and put a small screw, washers and nut through the center of it to hold the wires. I don't think there is an adapter available, unless you crimp/solder one yourself. I think the screw would be closer to factory style, especially if you can find a small cheese-head one.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#4 Post by David Jones »

Martin, look at the picture Greg posted. Stock regulator.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#5 Post by Martin Benade »

I see the picture now. My similar regulator has 2 flat brass blades there. Mine is probably a VW one from around 1970. Your answer is the correct one.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Jim Clement
356 Fan
Tag: 1957 356 A Coupe

#6 Post by Jim Clement »

I think this is what it should look like ??
Attachments
P2230176.JPG

gregg hake
356 Fan

#7 Post by gregg hake »

Martin Benade wrote:I see the picture now. My similar regulator has 2 flat brass blades there. Mine is probably a VW one from around 1970. Your answer is the correct one.
Mine has the flat spades. The picture I posted is off the web and seems to have some little adapter clamp on it that allows you to connect ring terminals to the regulator. I have seen this on other regulators I have inspected.

In my numerous inspections of other cars, I see this smaller Bosch regulator at least as often (if not more) that the larger big black one. My engine compartment has the permanent bracket for the larger regulator (about 5 inches apart) but my regulator is the smaller silver Bosch. I'll be damned if I remember how this regulator was mounted when I disassembled the car in the mid 90's, so I made a cool plate that mounts on the bracket and then the smaller regulator fits on the plate.

I think I will end up removing the ring terminals on the Y n Z harness and put on Spade females.

I will be at the Emory Campout in McMinnville, Oregon, this weekend and will make it a point to look at as many cars as I can to see how they did it.
Weather is supposed to be FANTASTIC every day. Hope to see you all there.

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#8 Post by Joris Koning »

gregg hake wrote:
Martin Benade wrote:
I will be at the Emory Campout in McMinnville, Oregon, this weekend and will make it a point to look at as many cars as I can to see how they did it.
Weather is supposed to be FANTASTIC every day. Hope to see you all there.
Will be there....
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe