Transmission weirdness - Groove in clutch fork

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: Transmission weirdness - Groove in clutch fork

#16 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Adjust the clutch cable so there is about 1" of play at the pedal. You should be able to just move the clutch lever slightly before the TO bearing contacts the pressure plate.
Don't touch the bowden tube or anything else after that adjustment.
Now move the pedal stop wherever it needs to be to fully disengage the clutch.

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

#17 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Vic Skirmants wrote:Adjust the clutch cable so there is about 1" of play at the pedal. You should be able to just move the clutch lever slightly before the TO bearing contacts the pressure plate.
Don't touch the bowden tube or anything else after that adjustment.
Now move the pedal stop wherever it needs to be to fully disengage the clutch.
Thanks, Vic. The clutch lever at the trans is already adjusted so it moves a slight bit before the TO contacts the pressure plate. Maybe 1/4", possibly a bit less.

I made that adjustment at the clevis on the lever. Was that wrong? What is the best place to get the free play right so I maintain that small bit of play at the trans end?

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#18 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Either end of the cable, or the bowden tube; without too hard a contact to the throttle bellcrank.

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan

#19 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Much better!! I made some adjustments last night at the pedal end. Amazing how much a few turns can change the free play so dramatically. I kept checking to see where the pedal was when I heard the "click" under the car of the TO touching the PP. That helped a lot.

I continued adjustment until I had an inch of play before hearing that "click" sound. Put everything back together but didn't adjust the pedal stop. Started the car this morning and pushed the clutch in - heard a "grind" when pushing the pedal all the way to the stop. I assume this was the clutch fork hitting the PP, so pulled back the floor mat and made a quick adjustment to bring the stop down and reduce the pedal movement, then drove in to work.

Car is clutching beautifully! Engagement point is higher and not so startling. No noise and good free play.

I guess sometimes you just gotta dive in and tweak things and see what the result is. :)

Harold Singh
356 Fan
Tag: Cooling with air

#20 Post by Harold Singh »

Glad it’s worth working! I eye balled mine when I swapped the clutch lever and looked for clean versus dirty threads on the adjustment on the trans side. From there I only made a couple of turns. I just saw this but I have a photo of yours still attached I can email you to see if it’s the same place. Yours may be different since the original fork was flipped by the prior owner and you had to fix it. So it may not matter.
Harold
In the garage:
1964 356C Irish Green
1995 993 GP White

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan

#21 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Harold,

At this point I've kinda moved everything around - different adjustments at the bowden tube (to stop it touching the bellcrank), adjustments at the clevis end, and adjustments at the pedal. Feels like I had to adjust all 3 to get it right.

Took the car to Cars and Coffee yesterday and it's still shifting nicely. I think it's finally ready for the wife to drive. ;)

-S

Harold Singh
356 Fan
Tag: Cooling with air

#22 Post by Harold Singh »

Sean M Rooks wrote:Harold,

At this point I've kinda moved everything around - different adjustments at the bowden tube (to stop it touching the bellcrank), adjustments at the clevis end, and adjustments at the pedal. Feels like I had to adjust all 3 to get it right.

Took the car to Cars and Coffee yesterday and it's still shifting nicely. I think it's finally ready for the wife to drive. ;)

-S
I was thinking that was no longer a valid data point but thought I’d share. Glad to hear it’s working great! :D
Harold
In the garage:
1964 356C Irish Green
1995 993 GP White