Fresh (Cool) Air in my Coupe Cabin Please

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
marcsherriff
356 Fan

Fresh (Cool) Air in my Coupe Cabin Please

#1 Post by marcsherriff »

Hi, Marc here from Perth, Western Australia.
We get hot summers here. Real hot. Can't drive a cab, or speedster in the day, without getting burnt, hot. This makes our coupes even hotter. Not easy to convince the family that a nice drive in the 356 would be time nice spent, when we've all dehydrated on arrival to preferred destination.
I have adjusted and tested that my heater cables are correct, and even with them off, we still get very warm air coming into the cabin.
I have a T5 Coupe. I do not want to fit a swampy, or air con. What I want is some air from outside the car blowing through it.
I cannot imagine I am the only owner that has experienced this discomfort, so was hoping for some ideas.
I was considering disconnecting the heater cans, altogether, and running a 180 degree pipe, facing the front of the car, to try and get some air that way.
Anyone tried this?
Anyone got any constructive solutions here?
I am not looking for responses like wind the windows down, or open the vent windows, or remove the windscreen (though tempting), or buy a speedster, (which I am looking at doing anyway). Or get out a can opener and install my own sun roof (sunburn, remember).
Is there some 6v retrofit fan blower or similar?
Thanks in advance for your responses.
Marc Sherriff
Marc and Cars
www.youtube.com/c/marcandcars

Perth.
Western Australia.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: Fresh (Cool) Air in my Coupe Cabin Please

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Here is a discussion of the factory's solution: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39481&hilit=fresh+air+blower
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Jim Neil
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jim Neil »

2/60 air conditioning came standard in our cars. 2 windows down at 60 mph.
1960 356 B Coupe
2009 911 Turbo Coupe
2016 Panamera
Gone but not forgotten: 2005 Carrera S, 2004 Targa, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 Targa, 1993 RS America, 2004 Cayenne S, 2005 Cayenne S, 2009 Cayenne S

Tom Tate
356 Fan
Tag: Boston MA

#4 Post by Tom Tate »

The fresh air blower discussion is helpful but doesn't apply to Marc's situation. Since he has a T5 there is no air inlet in front of the windscreen for air to enter the cabin, blower or not. The A cars have an air inlet in the door jam that is controlled by the two knobs under the dash near each speaker and I thought the T5 cars had the same. If not, we're back to windows. I have seen small 6v fans suction cupped to the inside of the windshield on VW beetles and buses who suffer from the same lack of air flow. They plug into the lighter socket and are easily removed when the weather cools. That might be something to chase. Any other ideas out there?

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#5 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

I know Marc says he doesn't want to use a swamp cooler, but man, do those things work!
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#6 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Tom is correct. My ownership has been limited to T6 cars so I goofed up.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#7 Post by Mike Wilson »

One thing I tried was disconnecting the flexible heater hose from the J-pipe, direct it towards the front and opening the heater can. This brings in air to the cabin. I used a zip tie to fasten the heater hose to the axle tube.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#8 Post by Geoff Fleming »

This problem on the T-5 series was addressed by a Texas based owner in 1961...he published his own version of a fresh air vent for a coupe. It was quite nicely done and is out of sight, however it does require some cutting if the front 'bulkhead' in order to route the vent. The story and plans appeared in Porsche Panorama magazine and was reprinted in the 'Upfixen' booklet. ( A series of booklets containing articles from Porsche Panorama which pertained to mechanical aspects of the cars.)
I will find the article and make copies if you are in need.

Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

#9 Post by Dave Wildrick »

marcsherriff wrote:Hi, Marc here from Perth, Western Australia.

I have adjusted and tested that my heater cables are correct, and even with them off, we still get very warm air coming into the cabin.
I was considering disconnecting the heater cans, altogether,
I live in Houston, Texas, which is very swampy and hot for at least 6 months of the year (90-100 F and very high humidity). I remove the cardboard accordion tubes most of the time because the heater flap shutoff never seems to completely stop some hot engine air from getting into the cabin.
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

John Brooks
356 Fan

#10 Post by John Brooks »

Disconnect the heater tubes and go get a texas cool vest. I use this in Houston, and no sweat. 20 minutes in ice water and 3 hours in the car at 50C. https://www.texascoolvest.com/. Then go to Morley and have a Swan
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965