Certificate of Authenticity changes

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
James Davies
356Talk Moderator

Re: Certificate of Authenticity changes

#31 Post by James Davies »

Vic Skirmants wrote:The 1950 to late 1952 cars used the VW full-crashbox trans. Porsche never listed that number because it was a VW part.
Martin; if your car is truly a 1953, then it would have had the 519 trans.
The early 519 trans used in late '52 and early '53 were also not listed on the Kardex usually. By transmission ~900, they were listed pretty consistently (maybe a bit earlier). That said, it's possible Porsche doesn't list them on the COA anyway now. My COA from July 1953 has the transmission number listed, but I got mine several years ago.

Martin, is yours an early '53 or later than March 1953?

Al Cole
356 Fan

#32 Post by Al Cole »

Adam Wright wrote:
Wes Bender wrote:A copy of the Kardex (obtained in any way that you can) appears to be the best option. I got mine, but I never tried to get a COA due to the inaccuracies others reported. The top auction houses all seem to think a COA is golden. Go figure.
I routinely use the Kardex when selling a car and have had people DEMAND a COA. I try in vain to explain that the COA is derived from the Kardex, but they don't seem think I know what I'm talking about. It's the same when I have a 63 S90 motor that starts with a 0. They all go to 356a.com and type in the number, it comes back as a 61 motor, and they start arguing with me. I tell them to go buy a BOOK, remember those, and look it up. The internet is both a blessing and a curse in the search for knowledge.
If your '63 S90 engine number starts with a 0, type 5 in front of the 0 and it will display correctly on 356a.com.
AL Cole
'62 S-90 Cabrio.
'64 C Coupe
Paris Mtn., S.C.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#33 Post by Adam Wright »

Al Cole wrote:
Adam Wright wrote:
Wes Bender wrote:A copy of the Kardex (obtained in any way that you can) appears to be the best option. I got mine, but I never tried to get a COA due to the inaccuracies others reported. The top auction houses all seem to think a COA is golden. Go figure.
I routinely use the Kardex when selling a car and have had people DEMAND a COA. I try in vain to explain that the COA is derived from the Kardex, but they don't seem think I know what I'm talking about. It's the same when I have a 63 S90 motor that starts with a 0. They all go to 356a.com and type in the number, it comes back as a 61 motor, and they start arguing with me. I tell them to go buy a BOOK, remember those, and look it up. The internet is both a blessing and a curse in the search for knowledge.
If your '63 S90 engine number starts with a 0, type 5 in front of the 0 and it will display correctly on 356a.com.
I've explained that to people too, they tell me I'm wrong and and don't know what I'm talking about...
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Brian Horvitz
356 Fan

#34 Post by Brian Horvitz »

I've just in the last couple of days run into this security thing where you need to know the information before you can know the information. I get the part about discouraging counterfeiting, but what it drove me to do was contact an old factory person in Germany who was perfectly willing to change me 100 Euro to tell me the engine number. I guess this creates a nice little industry for those who have the data.

Brian

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#35 Post by Martin Bruechle »

James Davies wrote:
Vic Skirmants wrote:

Martin, is yours an early '53 or later than March 1953?
I just getting back in the 356 game and my 53 has been sitting for 20 + years.
I've had a dozen 356's back in the late 70's - 80's

My VIN # is 50767

Any info would be great, thanks.

COA says this info below;

1953 356/1500 Coupe
Production date 6/22/1953
Engine Number/Type 31581
Exterior Paint Color/Code Black/R501B
Interior Material Color/Type Reddish Brown Leatherette w/Corduroy Inserts

Optional Equipment
Antenna Black Steering Wheel
2 Comfort Seats Black Gearshift Knob

I just realized the Black Steering Wheel and shifter ?
Seems odd ? Most I've seen are always White/gray/beige ?
I have a 400 and a 420mm banjos in the garage.

Are Black steering wheels - shifter knobs more rare ?
Thanks for the intel.

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#36 Post by James Davies »

Hi Martin,

Interesting COA information. A few comments:

- "Comfort seats" probably means reclining seats. Are both yours reclining?

- "Black steering wheel and shifter", never seen this before on COA/Kardex. The '52 VW style shift knobs were made black, and I've seen these on one other Porsche, so it's possible yours had this. All Porsches up to mid-1953 had the '52 apple-shaped VW shifter in ivory as standard. As for steering wheel, I've never seen the 2-spoke VDM wheel in black. The 3-spoke "Banjo" Petri wheel was an option during this period, and it definitely did come in black. Black ones were standard on the 356SL during this period, and dark ones (black or maroon?) were also used on the 550 Spyder.

- Interesting that it listed antenna. But no radio? Any radio installed?

- R501B code is actually for black exterior and a maroon (reddish-brown) leatherette interior. No cloth inserts. I wonder if the Kardex actually says "corduroy" or if that was just creative interpolation by the person filling out the COA. *grumble*

I'm including a 1953 color description below. Unfortunately it doesn't list R501B, but you'll notice all the leather(ette)/cord ones have "CS" in the code. A, B and C were generally used for leather or leatherette only, from all the documentation I've seen from the pre-A period.
Attachments
color card descriptions coupe.jpg