Fan Belt/Pulley adjustment

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Fan Belt/Pulley adjustment

#31 Post by David Jones »

Robert, my post was in reference to using an impact wrench to remove the 36 mm nut that holds the fan on the shaft. Once that is off the hub still has to be removed from the shaft and sometimes that does not want to come loose. The hub under discussion is the other end of course and even if one has a puller they can still be a pig to move but as Tim said if it is rounded anyway it is already junk so just cut it to weaken it's hold and remove it.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Robert Thiemrodt
356 Fan

#32 Post by Robert Thiemrodt »

David,
Gotcha, that makes sense. I couldn’t make the connection with an impact wrench and a pulley. Btw, car is running awesome!! For kicks I checked number two valves. They’re spot on.
The left lane is for passing, MOVE OVER!!!!

Al Zim
356 Fan

#33 Post by Al Zim »

If the end of the generator nut is not flush with the end of the armature shaft then it is not shimmed properly. Your nut is tightening on the hub of the pulley that is why the pulley is exploding. You should replace the hub since it has wear marks on it al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Jon Paul Phillips
356 Fan

#34 Post by Jon Paul Phillips »

Well .. you guy's have saved me again. Threw a fan belt up in the Mayakamas/Knights Valley above Healdsburg. Thankfully I had read this thread a couple weeks ago to prepare for a long drive from Norcal to L.A. next month and made sure I had a new Porsche belt in my tool roll and both pulley tools. Checked all the parts as I pulled them off .. 10 shims, all in good shape and both pulley pieces were solid with no cracks. Got it put back together under a shady oak tree .. 7 shims in the middle and 3 on the outside under the nut. Let the pulley assy come together easy and slipped it as I tightened the nut to get the new fan belt properly settled, then cranked it down to just snug. Today with 50 miles on that go, I checked the belt tension again .. felt a little too loose so I pulled one shim out of the center and now I'm at 6 in the middle and 4 outside. Perfect tension at operating temp. Thanks again 356 Registry .. what a resource!

Al Zim
356 Fan

#35 Post by Al Zim »

Thursday morning I was headed to Downtown Ft. Worth to file paper work on a customer who left his Mercedes rather than pay for the repairs (no gain here)! I stopped by the generator shop to see if they wanted to take any of my money. I looked at the generator on the counter for pick up and said to the shop owner did we send you a generator in this condition. I even asked if any of the other shops had left it off. He did not know where it came from or who the owner was. The hub for the pullies was on it with grooves where the pulley halves rocked back and forth. I told my generator guy that this guy was going to have more situations if he did not do something about the hub. He was in Friday afternoon and I showed him how to assemble the pulley hub and halves properly. Hopefully he is on the road for a superb weekend drive.
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Nathan Miller
356 Fan

#36 Post by Nathan Miller »

Why do you need a special fan pulley wrench to remove the belt? Why not a open end wrench of the correct size?

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#37 Post by Wes Bender »

Any wrench that fits will work. Personal preference.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....