Identify this Bursch Dynomax Muffler

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Paul Ahnell
356 Fan
Tag: What?

Identify this Bursch Dynomax Muffler

#1 Post by Paul Ahnell »

A little detective work here. A friend has an old Bursch system on his BT6. Muffler (Dynomax?) has the numbers shown in the attached; 11Y9 above the Arrow and 80065195 below. What do these #s represent?
Anyway to determine if it's a glass or steel pack, or whether it's a "Street" or "Quiet Street" version? Did Bursch even have those distinctions back then (15-20 yrs ago)?

His muffler/header system looks just like today's Bursch except for the corrugations on the muffler. Today's are smooth (Thrush muffler?).

Thanks for any insight.
Attachments
Mark's Dynomax Bursch.jpg
Paul Ahnell
'60 Normal Coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: Identify this Bursch Dynomax Muffler

#2 Post by Martin Benade »

The arrow with an A and B means it fits many things and the letter helps know which is the inlet for a particular use. I think a Dynomax looks a little more hand-made than that muffler. Can't he start the engine and listen to how loud or quiet it is? Unless he has a high revving hot engine he will probably not like the loss of low-end torque. I know I didn't.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#3 Post by Craig Richter »

Paul, I used to work at the shop that made the Bursch exhaust systems back in the 60's. Due to typical market availability, muffler sources changed often over the years. I don't remember ever seeing the numbers on your friend's system. I would first suggest going to your local muffler shop, and they could look up a suitable muffler in their many catalogs, but I'm not sure those shops exist anymore. Google Gene Berg Ent. and Gary might have a good replacement since many of their VW systems used similar mufflers. Bursch exhaust systems NEVER used glass-pack mufflers.
I know I'm a bit predudice, but I love the sound of the Bursch on Speedy. The motor has the proper CR and cam for the Bursch, and Speedy does fly. :D

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#4 Post by Dick Weiss »

I'll hafta disagree w/the statement that Bursh never supplied a glass-pack muffler; They did.
Later on, they introduced the flat-shaped quiet version which had the option of separable mufflers and stingers'.
For the record, I have an original 1-piece Bursh w/the 'stinger' for race events back in the early/mid-'60s.
It's been welded a couple of times on the collector/junction due to the long extension being not supported.
I never cut the 'stinger' shorter; For local auto-Xs needing quietness, I added a wire screen/fiberglass sleeve
into the tube--not much back-pressure resulted, but after the event was finished, the fiberglass burned out.

BTW, around/in the late '70s(?),the #2 & 4-port flanges were made w/1/4" thickness material vs the original 5/16",
and the thinner flanges tended to warp a little causing exhaust leaks and a quick fix was doubling the gaskets!

Dick

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#5 Post by Vic Skirmants »

My first Bursch was a glass-pack; loved the sound; back then.

Paul Ahnell
356 Fan
Tag: What?

#6 Post by Paul Ahnell »

Thanks to all for the interesting History lesson, but I'm still looking for the meaning of the 119Y above the arrow. Anyone? Maybe a date code?

Vic - roger that on the sound of the glass packs. I garnered more than a few of tickets with the glass packs on my flathead '50 Merc. Boy, could they rap. Yikes!
Paul Ahnell
'60 Normal Coupe