Contact cement or weather adhesive ?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jim Clement
356 Fan
Tag: 1957 356 A Coupe

Contact cement or weather adhesive ?

#1 Post by Jim Clement »

What should I use to glue my base gaskets to my deco strips
both for the front bumper deco and the side decos ??

for 1957 T1 Coupe.

Jim Clement
356 Fan

Re: Contact cement or weather adhesive ?

#2 Post by Jim Clement »

or.. how do you clean the new rubber parts so that the glue stays attached to the rubber ??

John Weyand
356 Fan

#3 Post by John Weyand »

Jim, I don't know about the pro's but I used nothing. The rubber trim is held in place by the attachment bolts pulling the trim tight. (mine is a C coupe '64)
John W
'64 "C" coupe

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#4 Post by Steve Douglas »

Hi Jim, the new rubber comes with some of the release agent still on the surface, glue won't stick well, dip the rubber into hot boiling water to melt it away, just a few seconds should be all that it takes. In most cases that's all that is needed to clean up the rubber enough to glue. If there is still some stuff left that a repeat of boiling water doesn't take care of try a tire patch cleaner. I have an old can of Tech Brand Rub O Matic and it does a great job of cleaning, but will melt any vinyl or plastic coatings. I used the black 3M weather strip adhesive to glue mine on.

John Brooks
356 Fan

#5 Post by John Brooks »

I wipe the rubber with Alcohol and a cloth, then put in hot water for 10-15 minutes. I use a section of rain gutter for deco trim, and a large crab pot for windshield seals. I cut the bumper and deco trim about 1/4 long and taper the ends and then press in the ends, seems to keep it from shrinking over time.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#6 Post by Steve Douglas »

It depends upon the rubber that you get, the original base rubber didn't have a finished end glued on as most nowadays have. The originals where just a straight channel, you had to cut and wrap the end around, see the shop manual for the instructions. Gluing will attempt to keep them from becoming loose. Some of the contact cement will cause the rubber to harden and crack more than the 3M weatherstrip cement. I glue them off of the car using foot long blocks of wood and several clamps, the type that the fumigation companies used for their tents. Let it dry over night, clean and install on car.

Jim Clement
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jim Clement »

Thanks
especially for the tip on cleaning them in the boiling water
and the other one about cutting them a bit long
When I did them originally about 20 years ago.. they did indeed shrink and leave a gap between the pieces.. always bothered me..
I was thinking I should give them a cleaning.. and leave them out in the sun for a day or two to see if that will help preshrink them a bit..

Many Thanks