Wiper motor question with picture

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
E. Neil Zuchowski
356 Fan

Wiper motor question with picture

#1 Post by E. Neil Zuchowski »

The attached picture shows the broken contact on my wiper motor. I believe it is the self park contact. Does anyone know if all three contacts are the same (length and shape)? I will try to fix unless I can find a cheap replacement piece. hint,hint Thanks in advance Neil.
Attachments
wiper 1.jpg

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

Re: Wiper motor question with picture

#2 Post by Greg Bryan »

Neil - what year car is the wiper motor from?
Greg Bryan

David Nicholls
356 Fan
Tag: 56 Coupe #56209

#3 Post by David Nicholls »

Hello Neil

Great topic, cannot remember that it was ever discussed before.
I have two wiper motors, one is mid '62, the other is early '63. They are both the same, both variable speed and both auto park.

Other readers would know how they operate, but I think that
the Inner Contact is the one that is operated (switched on and off) by the Wiper Switch.
the Outer Contact is always powered.
When the Wipers are switched Off, the Outer (powered) Contact keeps the wipers going until it reaches the non-metal (non conductive) part of the ring, so they stop in that position, parked.

I don't think that you have a broken contact, as two of mine are the same as yours.
If anyone knows how these mechanisms work, or are wired, please let us all know.

I've attached two pictures,
in one you can see that the two Contact (arms) are the same as yours, but maybe covered with more grease.
in the other you can see the plastic, or non-metallic part of the outer ring, when the contact reaches that portion, the wipers stop, no current flow.

Regards
David
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

Paul Hatfield
356 Registry Member

#4 Post by Paul Hatfield »

Below are photos I took some years back when I went through the wiper system on Miss June, a 65 C coupe.
I think you are just fine. Look carefully at your assembly. There are two wires entering the area of concern, and only two contact arms are used. I later sent my wiper motor to Joe Leoni for inspection and he declared it good for another 50 years. Final assembly also shown.
Hope this is helpful.
Paul
Attachments
wiper assembly 009 (Large).jpg
Wiper 005 (Large).jpg
Paul Hatfield
"Miss April"
http://www.enginesinback.com

E. Neil Zuchowski
356 Fan

#5 Post by E. Neil Zuchowski »

I'm working on a 64 C. The reason I asked about the contact is that my wiper motor won't shut off with the switch. I saw the plastic
section and I figured that there must be a contact that will stop the motor when it reaches the plastic section. The only way I can currently
stop the motor is to remove the power from the fuse block. It is a completely new wiring job, so I'll check that again. Thanks for the responses. Neil

John Brooks
356 Fan

#6 Post by John Brooks »

This may help, this is both motors
Attachments
WiperSelfParkWiring.jpg
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

David Nicholls
356 Fan
Tag: 56 Coupe #56209

#7 Post by David Nicholls »

John
Many Thanks for the diagram, very helpful
Regards,
David

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#8 Post by David Jones »

Neil, one thing to remember is that the park contacts rely on the wiper motor running at normal speed under load so if you are running it on the bench it may not stop at park because flywheel action will carry it past the park position. At least that is what I remember from a time when I could not get mine to park after overhaul.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

John Hearn
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche is a two sylable word!

#9 Post by John Hearn »

+1 on Davids comment on running the motor with no load.
It wil spin past the "parking zone" and restart.
KTF
John

E. Neil Zuchowski
356 Fan

#10 Post by E. Neil Zuchowski »

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry for he delay but my wife and I took a quick trip to Southern Ohio and brought back a 912 engine to mess with. (I always wanted to rebuild a Porsche engine). The wiper is now working in respect to turning on and off and having multiple speeds. However when the switch is shut off, the wiper arms stop where ever they are at the time. It seems to me that there has to be power to 53a when the switch is off, in order to take the wipers to park. Will work on that next. My wipers are wired as the diagram indicates with three wires going to the contact box.