sigh.... now it's my fuel pump

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mitch Covington
356 Fan

Re: sigh.... now it's my fuel pump

#16 Post by Mitch Covington »

I have a newly rebuilt fuel pump. What kind of 'special' non freezing grease (mentioned in manual) do you use?

Manual says to check pump stroke with tool VW 328, and add gaskets if needed. I don't happen to have that gauge, of course... is this step necessary? Adjustments are made by adding removing gaskets? Pump didn't come with any gaskets, is using the old ones OK?

I'll need to check the pump pressure later, after these issues resolved.

thanks!
Mitch Covington
Asheville, NC
'59 356 Cabriolet
'79 911 SC Targa

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#17 Post by Bruce Smith »

Mitch -

Here are installation instructions, let me know if you have other questions or issues with the pump. Nothing special about the grease, use what you can find.

http://www.sparkingplugs.com/11.html

- Bruce
Bruce Smith

Mitch Covington
356 Fan

#18 Post by Mitch Covington »

Bruce Smith wrote:Mitch -

Here are installation instructions, let me know if you have other questions or issues with the pump. Nothing special about the grease, use what you can find.

http://www.sparkingplugs.com/11.html

- Bruce
Thanks Bruce.

I have actually already installed the pump, used hi temp red grease. Finally found another thread that mentioned this. I'm on a really tight schedule, leaving for vacation Monday, so have to get this job done and tune my carbs by tomorrow! The pump flange was really tight, no leaks, so I just left it on there.

I also got the wrong impression from the manual that the pump pressure needed to be checked after installation. The little note that comes with the pump, also that comes with the rebuild kits say to check pressure after installation and adjust the gaskets then. I didn't have the tool, of course, so went ahead with an installation.

I didn't have gaskets, they didn't come with the pump or the rebuild kit that i bought (but didn't need), so I made a gasket from material from the local store. I realize that it's bad to not have enough gaskets, but the gasket material was .8 mm compared to the .5 mm that Stoddard sells.

So... should i now uninstall the pump and try to measure the stroke per your instructions, or just go with what i have and try to measure the pressure? I have not reinstalled the tin yet, which was required to removed in order to get to that pesky nut hidden behind the pump. Gotta say, that was one of the more frustrating procedures getting that pump off!

Is there a danger of trashing the pump with the .8mm gasket, or just flooding the carb? It's probably not too much gasket, is it?

Thanks again!
mitch
Mitch Covington
Asheville, NC
'59 356 Cabriolet
'79 911 SC Targa