Luggage rack hole plug

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Brad Ripley
356 Fan

Re: Luggage rack hole plug

#31 Post by Brad Ripley »

Hugo, with a quick look thru Ebay this morning, I see a few engine lids offered that still have the plugs in place. Here's a photo composite from three engine lids with the plugs in place.
Attachments
Engine lid with hole plugs.jpg

Hugo Karasawa
356 Fan

#32 Post by Hugo Karasawa »

Brad,
Thanks for the photos. Every day I learn a lot in this forum.

Jon Bunin
356 Fan

#33 Post by Jon Bunin »

Just to make the subject more confusing...
The original plugs I see most often are the type I posted a photo of on page 1, and the type pictured above, but the factory parts manuals seem to show a different version.

From my 356B Spare Parts Catalogue, illustration 50: 644.025.673.00, "Threaded Plug".
The illustration appears to show a hole. The same illustration is in the B and C Supplements, without any changes.
Attachments
DSCN1061.JPG
Jon Bunin

Mervyn Hyde
356 Fan

#34 Post by Mervyn Hyde »

Hugo Karasawa wrote:Could you please post photos of the correct plugs installed on an engine lid?
The only photo of that part that has been posted is Mervin's and now we are told those are not the correct ones.
I know that they are correct for my car (BT6) Hugo as they came with the car. They are plugs that go into the threaded nut, I believe to protect it from the elements. Jon's parts diagram suggests the same.

Looking at Brad's eBay suggestion - some have blank plugs (painted?) and some have the plug with a hole (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Porsche-356- ... Sw8cNUSvbO). Some without any plugs even seem to have unequal sized holes. That does confuse me.

There may well have been different versions at different times and places and I suspect that Porsche may have worried less than some judges about such a small plug. Old Porsches, however, are a beguiling topic, where being along the ASD Continuum could actually be an advantage at times. :D
Merv
TYP356
1963 356B T6
1968 911 SWB

Jon Bunin
356 Fan

#35 Post by Jon Bunin »

Mervyn, while the illustration does look like your plug and appears to have a hole, the description in the manual is "Gewindestopfen", and in English "Threaded Plug".
Your plugs are not threaded.

Keep in mind that the Porsche Spare Parts Catalogues listed spare parts for the vehicles, which were usually but not always identical to the original parts.
It's also possible that Reutter, Karmann, Drauz or D'Ieteren might have sourced their own plugs to install, and that all original plugs were not necessarily identical.
Jon Bunin

Mervyn Hyde
356 Fan

#36 Post by Mervyn Hyde »

True Jon. Mine is not fully threaded but has a circular notch that holds in the thread.

"It's also possible that Reutter, Karmann, Drauz or D'Ieteren might have sourced their own plugs to install, and that all original plugs were not necessarily identical." Good point indeed and expresses better what I was suggesting above.
Merv
TYP356
1963 356B T6
1968 911 SWB

Gabe Renga
356 Fan

#37 Post by Gabe Renga »

Mervyn Hyde wrote:True Jon. Mine is not fully threaded but has a circular notch that holds in the thread.

"It's also possible that Reutter, Karmann, Drauz or D'Ieteren might have sourced their own plugs to install, and that all original plugs were not necessarily identical." Good point indeed and expresses better what I was suggesting above.
I agree with that logic. Lets see if the judges will accept it also for those that have their cars judged....
Gabe
2018 Targa GTS
2006 997 S
2010 Cayenne GTS
1964 C Cab

------------------------

Mervyn Hyde
356 Fan

#38 Post by Mervyn Hyde »

True Gabe. Judges in different countries look for different things and with different standards in mind. In the US it would seem that they have a hard time separating so many good cars and need to go to this level. One can only hope that they are well informed on issues such as this.
Merv
TYP356
1963 356B T6
1968 911 SWB