Selecting a painter

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
James Fitzsimons
356 Fan

Selecting a painter

#1 Post by James Fitzsimons »

Hi all,

I haven't posted to this forum for quite some time, but in a couple of weeks I will be picking my car up from the body shop where it has been for the last five and half years! I'm pretty pleased with the results (even if they have taken many years longer than expected!), and am now keen to progress the restoration and get this car back on the road where it belongs.

I'm planning to go talk to some painters over the next few weeks, and would love some advice from those experience people who have been there, done that, and know what sort of questions I should be asking a painter.

So far I have:

- Duration - how long do they think it will take
- Cost estimate
- Warranty - what sort of warranty do they provide on their work
- Have they any previous experience working on 356s?
- Can the do the seam sealing and caulking?
- Will they want to trial fit windows/seals/lights etc?

What are some other questions to ask or things to look out for when selecting someone to paint your Porsche?

Cheers!
James Fitzsimons
1957 356A Coupe (RHD)

Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: Selecting a painter

#2 Post by Martin Benade »

If you go to a shop that doesn't usually do projects like this, it is likely to take much longer than planned. I know we have had this problem at my shop, such jobs don't really fit the normal flow of things. You need someone that you know about and trust, as a warranty is not really happening. If another shop did the body work they will be typically be blamed for paint problems later, and often rightfully so. Also if the first shop didn't already trial fit parts, there may be unexpected things that the paint shop will need to deal with and charge for. Does the shop that did the metal work usually work on 356s, and do they suggest a paint shop that is good?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#3 Post by David Jones »

James, not so much a case of selecting a painter who knows these cars as especially in NZ that is unlikely but knowing that there are a lot of classic cars in NZ you should be able to pick a good painter easily. Things to watch for are of course panel fit as the paint will cause growth and gaps will decrease by more than you expect. Fit doors, hood and engine lid before painting and be sure the window frame clears the top of door opening with the door aligned correctly before painting.
If any work was done around or on the headlight buckets then test fit the headlights with the gasket.
Unless any welding was done on the windows you should be OK on the fit there. others may be able to expand on these items.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Walt Nolte
356 Fan

#4 Post by Walt Nolte »

I had the body work and paint done on my 59 A Coupe by a restoration shop that had no experience with 356s. I brought in all the restored or reproduction trim and parts manuals and other literature. I also visited the shop at least twice a week and took a week off to help with the trim installation. They were Ok with this, actually encouraged me to visit as often as possible. I would ask how they feel about this kind of involvement in your project.

Walt Nolte
59 A Coupe
Montana
walt nolte