Removing Turn Indicator Stalk for Rechroming.

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jack Banville
356 Fan

Removing Turn Indicator Stalk for Rechroming.

#1 Post by Jack Banville »

Hi,
I have searched this topic and came up empty. How can I remove the turn indicator stalk for rechroming. Will I need to remove the entire assembly?
Thanks,
Jack

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: Removing Turn Indicator Stalk for Rechroming.

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Short answer yes you must remove the assembly. See if Ed at Klasse 356 rebuilds them. I know many have used type356a There may be a waiting list. http://www.type356a.com/blinkerswitch.html After removal you will need to remove flat headed rivet.
Attachments
IMG_1237.JPG
IMG_1238.JPG
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Jack Banville
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jack Banville »

Hi Doug,
Thank you for posting all of this useful information. My car is a t6.
Being new to the site, my assumption is that you are no longer restoring the switches, however Ed Korn may now be doing it. I'll remove the switch and see what I'm dealing with.
Jack

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#4 Post by Brad Ripley »

In case you missed this part onhttp://www.type356a.com/blinkerswitch.html here it is:

For switch restoration email Doug. To facilitate restoration in a timely manner. You will be put on a wait list and contacted when you can ship switch. This wait maybe weeks or months. To be fair, all request handled in order received, no exceptions. Sorry for any confusion about this process. It would be prudent to plan ahead.
For switch restoration email Doug. To facilitate restoration in a timely manner. You will be put on a wait list and contacted when you can ship switch. This wait maybe weeks or months. To be fair, all request handled in order received, no exceptions. Sorry for any confusion about this process. It would be prudent to plan ahead.

Business must be good and/or he needs to hire more people. BTW, who is Ed Korn ?

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#5 Post by Doug McDonnell »

And I am not the Doug at 356a no affiliation.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Jack Banville
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jack Banville »

Thanks to you both for the clarification.
Ed Korn? Lol... A supplier for another hobby. His name popped into my head while typing...
Ed at Klasse 356, not Ed Korn of CycleWerks.
Jack

Greg Scallon
356 Fan

#7 Post by Greg Scallon »

Ha! I know Ed Korn from restoring an R60/2 years ago. I imagine many of us are into vintage german air-cooled vehicles of all types.

Cheers,
-Greg
'58 Speedster
'56 VW Deluxe Microbus 

Jack Banville
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jack Banville »

Correct, Greg! I know several enthusiasts who appreciate vintage Porsches, VWs, BMW airheads and Vespas.
Jack

Paul Hatfield
356 Registry Member

#9 Post by Paul Hatfield »

I removed my switch and restored it. In the process, I removed the stalk and the handle from the stalk and did a re-chrome. All fairly straight forward, and you can see some of the results in this post I made: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33153&hilit=paul+hatfield
My recommendation before removing the stalk is to find the replacement rivet before you take out the original. I lost mine and had to come up with the replacement.
Paul Hatfield
Paul Hatfield
"Miss April"
http://www.enginesinback.com

Buster Venable
356 Fan

#10 Post by Buster Venable »

A good chrome shop can do it without removing the stalk.

Eric Meyer
356 Fan
Location: California's Central Coast, not quite New Zealand... but close

#11 Post by Eric Meyer »

Buster Venable wrote:A good chrome shop can do it without removing the stalk.
I second this... Just plastic bag and duct tape up all the vulnerable parts of the assembly leaving the chrome stalk out. The chrome shop can polish the stalk and dip in their tanks just fine this way... just talk to them about it. I've had it done several times this way with no issues.

Jack Banville
356 Fan

#12 Post by Jack Banville »

I'd like to thank all of you who responded. The tips are very useful and the examples impressive. The depth of knowledge and experience, along with the willingness to pass it on makes this project all that much more enjoyable.
My plater will work with me on the stalk. I'll take the assembly out this weekend.
Thanks again,
Jack

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#13 Post by Greg Bryan »

Jack - if you do take the stalk off, beware that there is a very small critical piece called the 'dogbone' that is part of the mechanism that gives you the click when you move the stalk from high to low beam. Without it, the switch is useless, so be very careful with disassembly as it is easy to lose.
I used a small nut and bolt (2mm if memory serves) to replace the rivet after drilling it out. Well equipped hardware fastener stores will have it - even a tiny nylock bolt so it doesn't come loose. Re-riveting is good, but may be hard to find and buying one only is probably not possible ...
Greg Bryan

Jack Banville
356 Fan

#14 Post by Jack Banville »

Thanks for the note of caution, Greg.
I wrapped it up and brought it to my chrome shop, intact. He does a lot of work for a local Porsche restoration shop and immediately understood what I needed.
Best Regards,
Jack