Precision Matters Full Flow oil filter

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Ron LaDow
356 Fan

Re: Precision Matters Full Flow oil filter

#16 Post by Ron LaDow »

Jim,
Are you sure you have a pressure relief Pre Mat part? The valve in those opens at ~140PSI, and since it's a ball valve, it really can't stick.
Anyhow, I'm glad you caught it before any damage was done; those big-pump engines put out a LOT of pressure.
Here's the current recommendations:

5/16
Recommended filter elements for Pre Mat full-flow oil filter adapters

US-heater Full Flow adapters filter elements:
Non-Pressure Relief adapters, use M1 #102 or K&N #PS1002 (confirm fit dimensions) or other high-pressure filter.
Pressure Relief adapters, use M1 #205 or any name-brand equivalent

Euro-heater Full Flow adapters filter elements:
Non-Pressure Relief adapters, use M1 #102 or K&N #PS1002 (confirm fit dimensions) or other high-pressure filter.
Pressure Relief adapters, use M1 #102 or any name-brand equivalent

M1 #205 takes a 74mm x 14-facet wrench.

English/Euro alternate for the M1 #205: KNECHT OC 264 Oil Filter

(added by edit)
I'd recommend these regardless of the 'gozouta-gozinda' technique or source; the engine makes the pressure, the pipe the oil goes through has no effect on that.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Jim Hardie
356 Fan

#17 Post by Jim Hardie »

Thank you Ron,

It is a non-pressure relief model....put on several years ago, SC engine. Clearly, I was using the wrong filter and will get the correct 102. I'll post my result!

Jim

Robin Walker
356 Fan

#18 Post by Robin Walker »

2016-10-26 001.JPG
While on the subject of Precision Matters full flow oil filter which I like and works very well on my 1964 356C coupe.
But the oil is very slow to warm up and it takes ages to move the needle off the cold section of the temp gauge.

This may be because I still have the old oil filter still in circulation and therefore there is another litre of oil in the system.
It is not helped that we do not get hot weather in the UK very often.

I would like to isolate the old filter, question,
do I just block off the two ends of the oil hoses one at the banjo fitment on the temp/pressure block and the other on the engine casing and remove the hoses from the fan casing mounted oil filter,
or, should I make an oil pipe to connect the two connections, so that oil can flow from the banjo block connector direct to the engine casing?
I would like to keep the old filter in place for visual purposes,but empty.
Thanks for any help.
Happy New Year to everyone.
Robin Walker
1962 356B S90 Coupe. sold.
1964 356C Coupe RHD
1973 911S Coupe LHD
1983 924 coupe RHD

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#19 Post by Wes Bender »

Robin, if you block off the oil flow to the original bypass filter, you'll upset the accuracy of your oil temperature readings. The oil temp sender measures the temperature of the oil flowing past it on the way to the filter. If you block it, you'll only be reading ambient temperatures. I think that Vic and possibly others have recommended that, if you remove the original filter, that you still allow flow past the sender.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Paul Lima
356 Fan

#20 Post by Paul Lima »

After reading and commenting earlier on this thread, I did find a high quality filter that handles the high pressure: Mobil 1 M1-303A (GMC 6 liter Diesel filter) (https://mobiloil.com/en/oil-filters/per ... il-filters). From all I've read, this is a very good, durable filter and sufficiently high burst pressure to handle cold start pressure off the pump.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#21 Post by Ron LaDow »

Robin,
Any full-flow adapter provides additional cooling and most more than the Pre Mat, since it lives near the engine and the muffler. Wes is correct; bloking the stock filter screws up the temp readings, but it also does warm the oil.
You might also try leaving the heat shield off the Pre Mat adapter; I'll bet you find warmer temps.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#22 Post by Ron LaDow »

Paul, does that element fit the 3/4"-16 thread stub?
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Paul Lima
356 Fan

#23 Post by Paul Lima »

No, it is 13/16-16 Happy New Year!

Jim Hardie
356 Fan

#24 Post by Jim Hardie »

Hi, All.

Ron, thanks for your help. I purchased the Mobil M1-102A, which seems to be their new designation on most if their filters.... So, far is working and no explosions!!!

Happy New Year All, Jim

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#25 Post by Ron LaDow »

Jim Hardie wrote:Hi, All.

Ron, thanks for your help. I purchased the Mobil M1-102A, which seems to be their new designation on most if their filters.... So, far is working and no explosions!!!

Happy New Year All, Jim
Jim,
That's the one which was *not* de-rated in pressure values by the mfgr; you should have no problem with it.
(added by edit) I'll check with my supplier regarding the part number change and get back to all of you.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

WilliamVaughan
356 Fan

#26 Post by WilliamVaughan »

Re Robin Walker's inquiry with photo: No photo available at the moment to illustrate this. Using a 356 engine oem oil filter feed line (the one with the banjo fitting on it) you can take oil from the temperature sensor block and direct it back into the case through the oem oil filter return line port on the case top. How much of the oil pump's flow will this waste? This was discussed on this list before. There is one (?) small diameter hole in the side of the banjo bolt for the oil filter feed line. That small hole limits the oil flow through this path back to the case. I think I used a banjo fitting style oil line from the stoddart catalog that was not for a 356C but something earlier. It gets bent pretty sharply but it does not interfere with the distributor.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#27 Post by C J Murray »

You can use the ends from old hoses to make what you want. There are a few ways to do it but you must have flow past the temp sensor. The small hole in the banjo bolt will limit flow just as though you had a stock filter.
IMG_3438.jpg
IMG_0256.jpg
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Robin Walker
356 Fan

#28 Post by Robin Walker »

Thanks everyone,I did not want to distract the thread from its original path of discussing the spin on filter, but your answers have helped me make the decision to bypass the oem oil filter and return the oil flow back into the return connector on top of the crankcase. The flow of oil through the pipe will be restricted anyway because the 75hp engine has smaller holes in the hollow bolt that holds the temperature and pressure sensor block on top of the crankcase that there is in a Super 90 engine, 75hp on the left, S90 on the right.
Attachments
DSC01021.JPG
Robin Walker
1962 356B S90 Coupe. sold.
1964 356C Coupe RHD
1973 911S Coupe LHD
1983 924 coupe RHD

C J Murray
356 Fan

#29 Post by C J Murray »

Robin, those are the inlet holes to the union block. The exit for the oil is through the tiny holes in the banjo bolt therefore the banjo bolt determines the flow rate.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#30 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Robin; that "S-90" fitting is the early fitting used on all 356 engines from 1958 until ? when they went to the small single hole because "mechanics" were twisting off the fittings with the large holes.