A Small Idea with Huge Benefit

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Edwin Ek
356 Fan

A Small Idea with Huge Benefit

#1 Post by Edwin Ek »

What about establishing a Registry 356 wikipedia? A few obvious motivations: Many of the same questions get asked over and over. It is a very effective way to accumulate knowledge- by centralizing it. There is tremendous wisdom and experience amongst our members, but no one lives forever. Expertise is being lost as members die.

The famous Wikipedia is an incredible example and benefit to humanity. The cost of the software can't be that great, and I doubt there is much overhead to maintain or oversee it. In terms of rules for how to and who can edit, I suggest doing the same as Wikipedia. The articles there are completely free of nonsense.

356'ers are a helpful and knowledgeable bunch. Let's take further advantage of that.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: A Small Idea with Huge Benefit

#2 Post by David Jones »

I will second that idea. I doubt I have many years left in me but what I have learned I would love to leave some of it behind when I go.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Ed Lawrence
356 Fan
Tag: Keeping the 356 Faith!

#3 Post by Ed Lawrence »

Fantastic Idea.

I'd like to go just a step further and include video of members performing some maintenance and repairs. It'd serve as a nice memory time capsule of folks on this board.
Ed Lawrence
1959 sunroof coupe
Instagram - @the.ed.lawrence
www.356sog.org

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#4 Post by Adam Wright »

Ed Lawrence wrote:Fantastic Idea.

I'd like to go just a step further and include video of members performing some maintenance and repairs. It'd serve as a nice memory time capsule of folks on this board.
Like watching the Harry Pellow video's where he wears the skin tight Registry T-shirt!
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Ed Lawrence
356 Fan
Tag: Keeping the 356 Faith!

#5 Post by Ed Lawrence »

Well played Adam.
Ed Lawrence
1959 sunroof coupe
Instagram - @the.ed.lawrence
www.356sog.org

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#6 Post by Neil Bardsley »

Yes maintainance wiki is a great idea.

On a less serious note perhaps the first page can be the best carbs for your 356 are ...

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#7 Post by David Jones »

Neil, the carbs the car came with unless the car has been modified then all bets are off. I tried Webers on a big bore "C" engine and got lousy gas mileage though they ran well once I dialed them in on the dyno. Problem is 99% of our community does not have access to a dyno and if they do for most the cost of a dyno run to tune in the carbs would be prohibitive.
I personal like the Solex's though my cab is still running the Zeniths and as it is a normal it would be a complete waste of time putting anything else on it.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

ray nelson
356 Fan

#8 Post by ray nelson »

A long time ago I made the same suggestion (don't remember the venue) specifically for a video of the rebuild of a 356 transmission and thought possibly if no one would do it on their own that the Registry could possibly fund it as incentive (for a piece of the action of course). Nothing ever came of it as it undoubtedly would require a significant cost and time.
Also I know the Vincent Motorcycle club has funded manufacture of some rare parts for sale to their members that wouldn't be profitable for a vendor. This is probably not possible through the bylaws but maybe a wealthy donor could do it for some kind of recognition (free life membership?).
The sad truth is that the age group that dominates this club are not getting any younger and the transfer of knowledge will be a critical issue. Already one see many questions in the Forum that most of us old guys know as second nature and are from new owners.
Just a thought.

BTW Adam, you're already blacklisted by Porsche investors and a comment about the Maestro in a "skin tight Registry T-shirt" probably won't help :shock: :D

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#9 Post by Adam Wright »

ray nelson wrote:
BTW Adam, you're already blacklisted by Porsche investors and a comment about the Maestro in a "skin tight Registry T-shirt" probably won't help :shock: :D
Oh, I'm sure I'm on all kinds of lists, I was once banned from a club in Atlanta called Mumbo Jumbo.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Thom Fitzpatrick
356 Fan

#10 Post by Thom Fitzpatrick »

Along the same lines, one of the tech sites I use (Can't recall which one) automatically does a keyword search as you're typing your question, which is awesome and probably prevents millions (literally) of re-asked questions.

BTW, what's the best oil for my car?
1956 VW Single Cab
1957 Porsche 356A Sunroof Coupé
1957 VW 23-window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Unimog 411
1963 Mercedes Unimog 404
1965 Jaguar E-Type
2003 BMW M3

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#11 Post by David Jones »

Which car? If the 356, I now use Shell Rotella T4 15/40. Has enough ZDDP and is cheap enough to change the oil every year almost regardless of mileage.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#12 Post by Dan Epperly »

Thom Fitzpatrick wrote:Along the same lines, one of the tech sites I use (Can't recall which one) automatically does a keyword search as you're typing your question, which is awesome and probably prevents millions (literally) of re-asked questions.

BTW, what's the best oil for my car?

30 wt House brand at your FLAPS.

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#13 Post by Craig Richter »

Thank you , Dan. It's nice to hear some reality creep back into 356 maintenance talk.

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#14 Post by Edwin Ek »

Was searching and came upon this. How do we get this going? Who at the club level deals with this?

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#15 Post by Bruce Smith »

Adam Wright wrote:
Ed Lawrence wrote:Fantastic Idea.

Like watching the Harry Pellow video's where he wears the skin tight Registry T-shirt!
...and the Maestro's white lab coat. Harry once wrote:

"Yes, The Maestro does exist. In fact, he exists in all of us. In the form of the desire to do it right... doing the damn details as well as you do the exciting stuff is a mark of The Maestro."
Bruce Smith