Project B or C

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

Project B or C

#1 Post by Mark Sabbann »

I am considering taking on a project. It's a T6B shell but I want disc wheels on it. Does it make more sense to install 'B' front and rear running gear (suspension, axles etc.) and modify it to accept disc wheels or does it make more sense to just install 'C' running gear? If installing 'C' running gear, are mounting points etc. comparable to 'B' running gear? What other issues should I be aware of? Right now it's only a shell with no engine either so the approach is flexible and all these parts will need to be sourced.
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'
1965 C Coupe 'The Yellow Delicious'

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

Re: Project B or C

#2 Post by Adam Wright »

If all you want is the disc brakes, I would put the B setup on there for the suspension and add aftermarket disc brakes, you will save a lot of money and headaches.
Zim's has one such conversion that is supposed to be very nice and easy to install.

http://www.allzim.com/store/356-parts/b ... rsion-kits
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

#3 Post by Mark Sabbann »

Thanks Adam, the Zim's kit will work for the front, how about the rear?
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'
1965 C Coupe 'The Yellow Delicious'

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#4 Post by Adam Wright »

Mark Sabbann wrote:Thanks Adam, the Zim's kit will work for the front, how about the rear?
If all you wanted was the look of disc brake wheels you could run adapters on the back.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Frank Hood
356 Registry Member

#5 Post by Frank Hood »

Mark

You can check these guys out too.

http://www.airkewld.com/

They offer different set ups including the wide 5 and later 5X130 Porsche bolt patterns.

Frank

Frank Hood
356 Registry Member

#6 Post by Frank Hood »

Oh BTW they have rear disc too :)

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#7 Post by Greg Bryan »

Actually, the C disc brakes will bolt right on to a T6 B, and if you don't have any of the components you might as well go with the Porsche parts. The aftermarket parts are probably fine and maybe even better in some respects, but I personally would prefer original parts. If your shel has the front trailing arms, I believe the C spindles will go right on.
I've seen complete set-up at swaps for reasonable amount, and if you buy the stuff piecemeal, you can maybe get it for even less. You need the front spindles, hubs, backing plates, and calipers - new discs are cheap new. Rear axle tubes and calipers, hand brake backing plate and parts (harder to find), hand brake cables, master cylinder brake lines and other parts that I'm sure I'm forgetting.
There seems to be quite a few folks replacing previous disc brake conversions back to drums for authenticity sake, so the parts are out there ...
Good Luck!
Greg Bryan

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#8 Post by Ron LaDow »

Greg Bryan wrote:Actually, the C disc brakes will bolt right on to a T6 B, and if you don't have any of the components you might as well go with the Porsche parts.[...]
Agreed for reasons of serviceability.
The aftermarket parts are probably very well engineered and produced, but unless you're servicing it yourself, handing a car with some mixed parts to the guy who may not be familiar with 356s to begin with is asking for added costs as he tries to figure out what is what.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz