356 fuel tank with studs for sender instead of screws

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
anthony Tarleton
356 Fan

356 fuel tank with studs for sender instead of screws

#1 Post by anthony Tarleton »

At Hersey I bought a used but very nice tank for my 64c. It appears the same except for the studs that hold the sender instead of screws as my original one had. It may have been used in a Carrera and may or may not be a repro. For the price and my purposes it does not really matter to me. At some point in time I may want to get the correct tank for my car and pass this one on to someone that needs a studded one. For now my rust bucket is a long way from needing a fuel tank unless it is being used to plug the smaller holes in the floor. I would just like to have the information for the future if anyone has the answer.

anthony Tarleton
356 Fan

Re: 356 fuel tank with studs for sender instead of screws

#2 Post by anthony Tarleton »

I do not think I made my question clear. Did any 356 come with studs to hold the sender or is this a repro with slight design mistake?

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#3 Post by Vic Skirmants »

I have never seen a 356 fuel level sender using studs. Can they be removed?

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#4 Post by Doug McDonnell »

As Vic said someone probably installed studs. Carrera 2 used the same tank as the rest of the T6 cars although many had larger 70 liter tanks.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Jim Kellogg
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jim Kellogg »

WE saw studs on a bottom sender tank modified to be a top sender.
Jim Kellogg
356restore

anthony Tarleton
356 Fan

#6 Post by anthony Tarleton »

I have not tried to remove them yet, I will take a closer look to see. I was curious to find out if the studs were original or not. It appears the answer is no and if the studs are not welded in I will remove them. Thanks

WilliamVaughan
356 Fan

#7 Post by WilliamVaughan »

After spending time welding rust damage to the original 64C tank I took advantage of Stoddart NLA replacement tank, which by the way fit exactly as the original had. The new tank had studs for mounting the sender. I think someone at the tank maker wanted to eliminate a potential leak up the threads of the screws.

Made nitrile rubber gaskets to replace the cork caskets after a puddle of gas developed years ago in the trunk of the 912 from an aged cracked cork gasket.

anthony Tarleton
356 Fan

#8 Post by anthony Tarleton »

I guess it is a good point about the possible leaking up the threads but I think the chances are pretty slim. The tank paint looks new and the insulation looks repro so I think with the studs, it is a repro. A good repro is much better than a leaking original. The closest my car will come to showroom is if it drives by one, so this is not an issue with me at this point in time. I just wanted to know the facts, thanks.
Tony