64 C starting

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dennis Martin
356 Fan

64 C starting

#1 Post by Dennis Martin »

car parked for 8 hours return to car turn ignition nothing, nothing at all, lights work, horn works battery appears to be fine. car was parked on incline, let roll popped clutch started instantly. Drove home 25 miles turned off started again and it turned right over. What could this be or am I wrong about battery, but all worked lights horn radio. i have had a bad battery before with same results but lights horn would not work. Any ideas.

John Brooks
356 Fan

Re: 64 C starting

#2 Post by John Brooks »

The soloniod just did not close the switch in the starter. Caused low loltage from the ignition switch. Some times they do that. Could be a loose wire at the switch, or on the starter. Next time it's in the air check the terminal on the small wire on the starter. Battery post will also do it even if the lights work. Clean bright connections are the key to happy electrical system.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#3 Post by David Jones »

Check the soldered bullet connections on back of ignition switch. One of them is fed from the light switch so if the lights worked you know you had power that far and the light switch gets power from the power in side of fuse 3 which is common to fuses 2,3 and 4. They get power direct from the battery. Check the bullet connector on terminal 30 on the light switch and the ignition switch.
Here is a circuit diagram which should help.
http://www.enginesinback.com/uploads/2/ ... ermark.pdf
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Hugo Karasawa
356 Fan

#4 Post by Hugo Karasawa »

Check in the Registry Magazine the article ¨356 Wiring the Starting system¨ written by Greg Bryan.
You can find it in Volume 39-5 page 62. After reading it you should know what to do to solve your problem.

Tom Coughlin
356 Fan
Tag: Go Gators

#5 Post by Tom Coughlin »

Nine out of ten times I've had starting problems the cause was dirty terminals on my well charged battery. Of course it went away after I switched to Optima.
 KTF, member #15