Generator Spinning Backwards

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Scott Halperin
356 Fan

Generator Spinning Backwards

#1 Post by Scott Halperin »

I had my 6v generator converted to 12v. Installed the generator and ran the car for a few miles. Forgot to polarize the generator and was getting no voltage. So I jumped the B+ to the D+ on the regulator for a moment and ran the car. No voltage. So I went back to the shop manual which states to disconnect the belt and run the generator as a motor for a few moments by jumping the red battery cable to the 61D+. I did this by jumping B+ to D+ again and noticed the generator was running CCW. The shop manual says it should be running in the direction of engine rotation (CW). Now I cannot figure out how to get it to change direction or make voltage. Since it will run as a motor I know the connections inside are OK.

So, is the generator built backwards? Am I jumping the correct wires to polarize? How do I get the polarity that seems to be in there to reverse?

By the way I have an electronic Bosch 12v regulator.

Thanks

John Brooks
356 Fan

Re: Generator Spinning Backwards

#2 Post by John Brooks »

Yep either the generator is wired backwards or the battery is.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Scott Halperin
356 Fan

#3 Post by Scott Halperin »

Bummer. Back to the builder. I spoke with therm and they mentioned it might be the cause.

John Brooks
356 Fan

#4 Post by John Brooks »

Scott

It is, but it's easy to fix. Be glad it was not a starter. It's a 20 minute fix, they can test it for correct rotation it on the bench before you leave, and it will be polarized.

Ask if the balanced the armature after rewinding it. Some shops will skip that step, and it will vibrate at high RPM.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Scott Halperin
356 Fan

#5 Post by Scott Halperin »

Will do John.

Thanks