Engine Life

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Alan Pershing
356 Fan

Engine Life

#1 Post by Alan Pershing »

This is my first post here, so apologies in advance if I screw something up.

I'm interested to know peoples' experience with how many miles the 1600cc engine will typically go before giving it up completely and needing to be replaced? This is the engine that would be in a 356B Super 90. I know everyone's experience will vary, but I'm trying to get a feel for the mileage range.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

Re: Engine Life

#2 Post by Wes Bender »

It would only need to be replaced if one or both sides of the crankcase were to be damaged beyond repair. All the other bits can be sourced for a rebuild. The time between rebuilds would depend on the quality of the rebuild, the compression ratio and how hard it is driven. Could range from 20,000 to maybe 150,000 miles, depending. YMMV (!)
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#3 Post by Wes Bender »

Oh, and welcome to the forum, Alan.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Tom Coughlin
356 Fan
Tag: Go Gators

#4 Post by Tom Coughlin »

Alan, welcome and it will help if you add your location if people near you want to get in touch (I don't know why we don't require it but ....................)
It will help if we know more about why you are asking, but a newly rebuilt engine, properly done and maintained should reasonably be expected to go 80,000 to 120,000 miles (race it, over rev it, lug it, don't change the oil, don't adjust the valves, etc. and maybe it's 20,000).

So figure your age, miles you plan to drive a year and maybe you'll have to live to be 148 until the next rebuild.
 KTF, member #15

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#5 Post by Martin Bruechle »

I believe Guy Newmark is on his 2rd rebuild and a at ONE MILLION MILES :shock: Check his videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOjrSTcroCw

In this next video he hits One Million Miles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knZwPySh7Cs

Alan Pershing
356 Fan

#6 Post by Alan Pershing »

I'm in Atlanta although I'm currently looking at a car that's out of state. It doesn't have the original engine and only has 69,000 miles, which I thought was low/odd. The current owner has had it for 12 years and only has his maintenance paperwork. From what I can tell, the odometer only has 5 digits, so I'm wondering if it's possible that the car has 169,000 miles (or more). When the current owner bought it, it was with the understanding that it had around 65K miles and the current engine was already in the car. Is there any way of knowing the true number of miles?

Also, if someone could tell me how to set the location that would be great. It's in my registration profile but not coming through to these posts.

Richard Shilling
356 Fan
Tag: Ex 356 Mechanic

#7 Post by Richard Shilling »

My answer to engine life would be (with reasonable maintenance and no racing) a low of 60,000 miles to 80,000 miles. Some can go over 100,000. How the car was driven and how it was maintained have a lot to do with engine life.

The question of how to tell if the mileage is 69,000 or 169,000 is very interesting and if it's been covered before I don't recall it. Has the car been repainted, that's one clue but certainly not definitive. How is the wear on the pedals? If it has 69,000 I'd expect some wear. If worn out, or if they have been replaced, maybe 169,000. This is a good brain teaser and I'd like to read some more opinions.
Richard Shilling
1965 356C dolphingrey 

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#8 Post by David Jones »

Alan go up the forum topics page and there are instructions about 5 topics up from the latest one on how to set your profile including location.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Alan Pershing
356 Fan

#9 Post by Alan Pershing »

Thanks for your help, it's now posting my location correctly.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#10 Post by David Jones »

There are few items that are not frequently rebuilt that may give a clue to mileage.
In no particuLar order I would think;
Door striker plates. Being plastic they wear out eventually. If they look new it is likely they were well worn and replaced.
King and link pins though 60K miles would be about the time to rebuild them if the car was serviced regularly.
Trunk and hood latch. Not so much on T6 bodies as the trunk was not opened as much as fuel filler is in fender.
Gear shift bushings. If worn then probably over 100K but if they seem new then they may have been replaced at high mileage.
Seats, should be original at 60K so if reupholstered then why?
Carpet over threshold. If original will be very worn at 100K plus.
That is it off the top of my head.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#11 Post by Martin Benade »

I would agree with Richard. We need to remember that at one time about 60,000 miles was the useful life of a water-cooled car (3 or 4 years). In the sixties it was pretty notable if someone had 100k and their car was still decent, it meant they had taken very good care of it. Maybe a 356 engine is higher quality, but being air-cooled and getting driven like a Porsche may shorten the life.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

James Learmonth
356 Fan

#12 Post by James Learmonth »

My 356C went 181,000 miles on its first rebuild and still ran well although it sounded "loose".
The second rebuild broke a valve spring and burned a piston at 126,000 miles. After repair
it is running strong at 145,650 miles. I believe that Precision Matters full flow oil filter system
is largely responsible for the long life of my present engine.

Jim Learmonth
Houston, TX