Dropped sparkplug !

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
John Weyand
356 Fan

Re: Dropped sparkplug !

#16 Post by John Weyand »

John, This is a fun thread to follow and we appreciate your sense of humor. I use the method David describes above but I use fuel line or any rubber tubing that fits snugly over the plug. It works well for both removal (once the plug is loose) and for reinserting the plug. You can feel the threads engage and you are much less likely to cross-thread the plug. (The PEX tubing is more likely to stay straight whereas the rubber tubing wants to curve as it was on the roll from production.)
John W
'64 "C" coupe

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#17 Post by Doug McDonnell »

But perhaps you have an Oslo blue car so still have good taste?
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Mike Horton
356 Fan

#18 Post by Mike Horton »

I likely have a dozen options in tools for this chore. As an old aircraft mechanic, I'm accustomed to working in tight confines, but after I dropped my last plug from the #3 position, I found the GearWrench 80547, a 13/16" swivel sparkplug socket, with built in 2 1/2 - 3" extension, and magnetic insert, 3/8s" drive, which seems custom made for this use. It goes with me anytime I travel, and is my "go to" favorite solution. I got mine on Amazon, but can be found anywhere which sells the Gearwrench line of tools. I also have in my tool bag, my old swivel head ratchet, and extra shortest 3/8s separate extension. I haven't dropped a plug since. I then ordered the 5/8s, & 9/16s versions, for my other rolling stock. 5 decade mechanics have their favorite tools, and this one is my 616 favorite!
Mike

JohnLiles
356 Fan

#19 Post by JohnLiles »

Back in the day with the T6 356B S90 , the longish tubular spark plug tool with rubber inset, made by Hazet, seemed to do the trick.

However it will not do the trick in the pre-A engine compartment when 912 engine fitted , you have to have a universal joint in there as not enough clearance for a straight tool.

I do have another car , as listed in my profile ( which also lists my location as London? SE England ) , a 1964 model 356C in Bali Blue.
This is a perfect car with much money spent on it by previous owners and not in need of my spanner work .

The pre A Outlaw is actually Speedster Blue , a rare colour close to Sky Blue but NOT the same .
1957 'A' and 1955 'Continental Outlaw'

Ian William Stockwell
356 Fan
Tag: 356 not just a number

#20 Post by Ian William Stockwell »

Hello John

The northwest? the northwest? is that northwest of Watford? (UK in Joke)
+1 for David Lawrence, I crack the plug (not literally) with the spark plug socket and then push a piece of 1/2" x 8" garden hose onto the plug and unwind and it comes out OK and do the reverse to put it back.
When this first happened to me I managed to flick the plug toward the back and took it out of the rear plug hole in the tin work with an extendable magnet. but you do tend to panic until you sit down and have a coffee and think about it. Always remember, there is a solution to every problem even if you have to leave it and come back the following day, I am a firm believer in this philosophy.
Glad to that it was sorted out.

Ian
Porsche engine DNA is Flat Four, Flat Six & Flat Twelve NOT Flat Battery Packs :(

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#21 Post by Geoff Fleming »

Really no reason to even try and remove it, unless you have no other plug available. It will just sit atop the cylinder finning until such time as you remove the engine and the tin. However, a wand-type magnet will easily do the trick in extracting it.

David Nicholls
356 Fan
Tag: 56 Coupe #56209

#22 Post by David Nicholls »

John

Get one of these, or a couple ! 21mm
After years of trying everything else, this was a god send.
T handle means no more ratchets, or sockets.
Perfect length for all four, Porsche 356 sparkplugs.
Flexible joint means better access.
Rubber insert to grab the top of the plug.
10 half turns of 5 full turns of the T handle to remove or replace the plug, no more guessing "are we there yet ?"
Attachments
image.jpg

Curt Crowell
356 Fan

#23 Post by Curt Crowell »

John- I remember dropping #1 plug same as you many moons ago and the almost cuts I ended up with on my fingers from the plug hole surround, not a fun job; I wasn't smart enough to use a magnet. I soldiered a craftsman "U" joint 13/16" spark plug socket onto a 5" x 3/8" extension and I don't think I've lost a plug since, bought my first 356A (used) in '59, so it's seen some use. Curt
Attachments
Insert.jpg
Plug socket 5 inch ex.jpg

Mervyn Hyde
356 Fan

#24 Post by Mervyn Hyde »

I have tried and even made a variety of straight and flexible plug wrenches to prevent plugs dropping in the tinware and then threading in properly. In the end I have found the Stahlwilli adjustable one to be the best as it accommodates restricted access, is length adjustable and has a nice tight rubber insert. I use that with a short ratchet, after using a piece of rubber hose to thread the plug in initially.

Merv
TYP356
1963 356B T6
1968 911 SWB

Mike Ruddy
356 Fan
Tag: https://tinyurl.com/yw3jedrh

#25 Post by Mike Ruddy »

I went with John Willhoit's recommendation, which works well.

"This is the preferred spark plug wrench set for your Porsche 356 tool kit that we've come up with at Willhoit Auto Restoration. This set includes a 1/4" Hazet Ratchet #863K, a Hazet extension #868, a Hazet adapter #858-1, and a magnetic Hazet spark plug socket #880MGT. This complete set fits nicely into any Porsche 356 tool kit and is a pleasure to use, unlike the original spark plug wrench which is nearly impossible to use. This is also the perfect 1/4" ratchet to have in your garage's tool chest. All pieces are premium Hazet made in Germany quality."

David Nicholls
356 Fan
Tag: 56 Coupe #56209

#26 Post by David Nicholls »

Mike,
Sounds complicated and expensive
Regards
David

Mike Ruddy
356 Fan
Tag: https://tinyurl.com/yw3jedrh

#27 Post by Mike Ruddy »

Reassuringly so David.

I don't think there's a more complicated and expensive way of removing and refitting spark plugs in a 356 engine but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

I like your recommendation. Surely there is no cheaper or simpler way of removing and refitting the spark plugs in a 356 engine.

Craig Geiger
356 Fan

#28 Post by Craig Geiger »

I was indoctrinated into this elite club of front plug droppers yesterday. After the seemingly typical 1.5hrs of fishing the plug out with a telescoping magnet (which in my case was the extra credit class at the School of Hard Knocks: plug with attached socket), I hope to provide a bit of help for those who find this after me. The thing that made this "easier" (aka, successful) was that I was able to move the socket and plug combo through the tins to the rear plug opening and then extract from there. It reduced the amount of cursing and punched holes in drywall from anger relief since I was able to almost see it, almost use two fingers, and position myself far more comfortably without having to do pre-warm up stretching and lower back exercises prior to working on the front tin hole over the carb, etc.

I just looked up the Gearwrench magnetic swivel with extension socket (GearWrench 80547)... that is genius. Wish I had owned one of those two days ago! But what learnings would I have gotten from that?!
1963 356B T6

Thomas Sottile
356 Fan

#29 Post by Thomas Sottile »

The last engine I took apart had 3 still in tombed.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#30 Post by Ron LaDow »

Tom,
Any hieroglyphics on the plugs? Wondering in what reign they got entombed.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz