Near disaster from carb

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mitch Covington
356 Fan

Re: Near disaster from carb

#61 Post by Mitch Covington »

David Jones wrote:This banjo fitting looks correct Mitch.
https://www.partsklassik.com/Porsche-35 ... oC0h3w_wcB
Awesome... already ordered a couple of them. I like the stepladder method for now, until i find a good cheap fuel pump. I knew that i read about the mineral spirits somewhere but couldn't find it again, so thanks for that reminder too!
Mitch Covington
Asheville, NC
'59 356 Cabriolet
'79 911 SC Targa

Mitch Covington
356 Fan

#62 Post by Mitch Covington »

John Brooks wrote:I do them off the car. I have a small tank 12v pump and manifold. It's easier off the car and more accurate and you can get to everything.
Thanks for the great pics, John! What kind of fuel pump do you use? What's the advantage of mounting the carbs on manifolds?

Many thanks again to Dave and John.
Mitch Covington
Asheville, NC
'59 356 Cabriolet
'79 911 SC Targa

John Brooks
356 Fan

#63 Post by John Brooks »

This one, don't remember from who. But this is the pump. Gauge SEZ it make 5 pounds.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-12V-F ... nM&vxp=mtr

I put the carbs on a manifold to keep them level and so I can open the butterfly's and clear the accelerator pump shafts. I spin them around the center hole, using a spring to hold them to the plate. You only need the ones for your cars, I have both the Solex, Zenith and a Webber, plus a early 911. But I have been hoarding Porsche stuff for 50 years.

Got the 12v gel cell battery at Home Depot for $15. The banjo and manifolds from the spares shelf. A momentary push button switch on the pump, a tank off an old weed eater, scrap wire, and a bolt welded to a pice of scrap plate to hold everything. Had this for about 40 years. I replaced the original bendix electric pump a couple years ago. Added the pressure gauge and new banjo bolt last summer. I have had the P TOOLS and reamers since the 60s. The round bevel/level to check the top. I use a big 100ml glass syringe to suck fuel from the floats, and to prime them on the car before starting.

It's pretty easy to build and makes carb rebuilds and adjustments much easier. Espically measuring the accelerator pump output. And small seeps that you smell but can't see in the car.
Attachments
image.jpeg
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Mitch Covington
356 Fan

#64 Post by Mitch Covington »

John Brooks wrote:This one, don't remember from who. But this is the pump. Gauge SEZ it make 5 pounds.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-12V-F ... nM&vxp=mtr
Got it. Under $9! Won't get it in time before leaving for vacation, but will use it in the future. Good call!

John Brooks wrote:I put the carbs on a manifold to keep them level and so I can open the butterfly's and clear the accelerator pump shafts.
Ah, forgot about the butterflies, thought a 2x12 with a slot cut for the pump shaft would suffice, but will scrounge a manifold from somewhere.

John Brooks wrote:Got the 12v gel cell battery at Home Depot for $15. The banjo and manifolds from the spares shelf. A momentary push button switch on the pump, a tank off an old weed eater, scrap wire, and a bolt welded to a pice of scrap plate to hold everything. Had this for about 40 years. I replaced the original bendix electric pump a couple years ago. Added the pressure gauge and new banjo bolt last summer. I have had the P TOOLS and reamers since the 60s. The round bevel/level to check the top. I use a big 100ml glass syringe to suck fuel from the floats, and to prime them on the car before starting.

It's pretty easy to build and makes carb rebuilds and adjustments much easier. Espically measuring the accelerator pump output. And small seeps that you smell but can't see in the car.
Very cool, thanks for sharing all that!
Mitch Covington
Asheville, NC
'59 356 Cabriolet
'79 911 SC Targa

Mitch Covington
356 Fan

#65 Post by Mitch Covington »

While I don't usually mind spending money on good tools, I was tickled to save the $70 on the fuel measurement vial. Thanks to the clever folks on this list suggesting to make your own, I quickly fashioned one from one of the glass pipettes that I used to use in my paleo lab (come in boxes of 250), so filed a notch on the side, snapped it off, and melted then thin tip with a cigarette lighter. Glued a wire to hold it with. See attached pic.

The Service Manual says .55 to .75 c.c. should be the amount for my carb -- the Solex 40, right? So next challenge is marking the vial at that level. I got my wife to bring home a small syringe from the hospital, pictured. This made it easy to find where to put the mark on the vial.

However, in Bieker's carb tuning article: Note: Many believe that the factory settings are too high for todays gas, and can cause a flat spot upon acceleration. You may want to experiment with using a somewhat lower volume.

How much is 'somewhat lower'? .5 cc, 1 cc, etc.? Or just stick with .somewhere in the middle between .55 and .75?

As always, thanks a million.
Mitch
Attachments
Fuel measurement vial.jpg
Mitch Covington
Asheville, NC
'59 356 Cabriolet
'79 911 SC Targa

John Brooks
356 Fan

#66 Post by John Brooks »

Mitch
On Solex PII I use .6, but its colder here than Florida.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965