Sekurit side window survey

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Curt Dansby
356 Fan

Sekurit side window survey

#1 Post by Curt Dansby »

Hi Folks

Someone please set me straight if I am wrong but I cannot find any linear documentation on the changes in the Sekurit ID etchings. I will give a nod to our sadly missed friend Roy Lock and his quest to find the date of the switch from the large to small Lemmertz Wheel Stamp Logo.
In that vein:

If you have known original glass in your car, please send me a photo of the etching and a production date (or VIN of the car if you do not have the COA/ production date)
Please e-mail me the photo rather than posting here and I will compile the photos and present them in a manner to try and determine some chronology.

Obviously I will get some duplication in markings so not all submissions will be used in documentation, but everything is a data point. If I use your photo in the end result you will be credited- unless you request not to be mentioned- please let me know if this is your desire.

I can see clearly soon(sic)
KTF
Curt

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

Re: Sekurit side window survey

#2 Post by James Davies »

Hi Curt,

There were 3 etchings used during the pre-A period that I've seen.

1950 through early 1953:

SEKURIT

mid-1953 through sometime in 1954:

SEKURIT
AS-2

sometime in 1954 onward:

SEKURIT
~~~D-02/AS2

Not entirely sure about the date when the last one started being used.

You will also find that coupes and cabs had different changeover dates, as the batch of side windows Porsche purchased for cabs lasted a lot longer than those for coupes. So for instance in August 1953, the cabs were still using the old "SEKURIT" logo glass while the coupes had the newer "SEKURIT AS-2" glass. Would be interested in seeing your results!

Of course the early etchings also have dots above or below letters in the logo too.

John Chatley
356 Fan

#3 Post by John Chatley »

Hello Everyone,
Does anyone know when the change took place from the older and larger SEKURIT 3-line side window logo to the smaller 4-line one on the 356A coupes?
See attached photos.
I'm confused because my low mileage March, 1959 coupe had one of each, so one of these had been replaced.
Thanks,
John
Attachments
Older SEKURIT logo.jpg
Older SEKURIT logo.jpg (173.12 KiB) Viewed 434 times
Newer (4-line) SEKURIT logo.jpg
Newer (4-line) SEKURIT logo.jpg (85.05 KiB) Viewed 434 times
John Chatley #6578
Convertible D Registry
www.convertibledregistry.com

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#4 Post by Ron LaDow »

John Chatley wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:52 pm [...]
I'm confused because my low mileage March, 1959 coupe had one of each, so one of these had been replaced.
Thanks,
John
With no comment regarding your particular issue, but regarding the factory's use of supplied products in general:
Example: Zenith carbs were bought in X-quantities and all were date-stamped for QA reasons, not for our obsessions. While they were likely grabbed from the shelf by Hans in some approximation of delivery schedule, that might not be date-stamp 'schedule'. On an 'original' car, they can vary by 2 to 3 months.
With comment regarding your particular issue, If Sekurit changed the markings somewhere around the build date of your car and it happened as part of a factory order, you might have gotten the change over. and now, when someone asks 'when did they change that?', why, you might have the answer!
Or not.
Brett?
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

John Chatley
356 Fan

#5 Post by John Chatley »

Hi Ron,
I'm pretty familiar with the varying dates. etc.
But I'm fairly sure this is not a change-over car because the bottom rail that the larger logo window is attached to is the full width of that window, but the
smaller logo window has the shorter bottom rail attached to it. Plus the car had a previous paint change.
Thanks,
John
John Chatley #6578
Convertible D Registry

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#6 Post by Ron LaDow »

John Chatley wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:38 pm Hi Ron,
I'm pretty familiar with the varying dates. etc.
But I'm fairly sure this is not a change-over car because the bottom rail that the larger logo window is attached to is the full width of that window, but the
smaller logo window has the shorter bottom rail attached to it. Plus the car had a previous paint change.
Thanks,
John
John,
I would not assume to advise someone who is so well informed. Carry on.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

John Chatley
356 Fan

#7 Post by John Chatley »

I must not be too well informed. I still have lots of questions!! Still learning after all these years.
I noticed that Brett didn't approach this topic in his new Authenticity book. Somehow I thought this was already discussed for the 356A coupes, but my searches haven't found anything definitive.
John Chatley #6578
Convertible D Registry