Random backfiring

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jon Schmid
356 Fan

Re: Random backfiring

#16 Post by Jon Schmid »

Lon Tusler wrote:Perhaps there is some moisture in the gas tank that's getting sucked up randomly?
Thanks, Lon but the tank is always at least half full and the car is driven regularly. Right now due to the randomness I'm going to focus on the ignition system. You know what they say about carburetion problems...

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#17 Post by Jon Schmid »

Update: I replaced the coil with a used German Bosch unit, drove about 100 miles over the weekend to a couple of events, and aside from a slight stumble once (no backfire) trying to keep up with a 918 on the 405, no problems. So, better but not yet perfect. A ways to go but a major improvement over what I had.

Fred Lawrence
356 Fan

#18 Post by Fred Lawrence »

Jon Schmid wrote:Update: I replaced the coil with a used German Bosch unit, drove about 100 miles over the weekend to a couple of events, and aside from a slight stumble once (no backfire) trying to keep up with a 918 on the 405, no problems. So, better but not yet perfect. A ways to go but a major improvement over what I had.
At most times of day, a 1300cc VW Beetle can keep up with a 918 on the 405!
Fred E. Lawrence
1958 356A Speedster 84037
Registry Member #19656

"If the opposite of "pro" is "con, then what's the opposite of "progress?"

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#19 Post by Jon Schmid »

[/quote]At most times of day, a 1300cc VW Beetle can keep up with a 918 on the 405![/quote]

LOL. Trust me, he went by me a lot faster than any street bug will ever go. This weekend, a trip to Chino and back--probably 60+ miles round trip. We'll see how the Roadster runs.

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#20 Post by Jon Schmid »

OK, a belated update. I wasn't out of the woods after the Steve McQueen event after all. It turns out the condenser was going wonky. Given the threads I have seen here regarding condensers I'm not sure whether the replacement I now is have a good one or not but so far, after several nice freeway runs where the car used to crap out, it is now running fine. Thanks again to everyone here for your feedback.

John Clarke
356 Fan

#21 Post by John Clarke »

Nothing wrong with a 'Tune Up' but it won't cure the above! Good advice from David ref the Coil and Kevin ref mechanicals being more of a constant & electricals coming and going.
Just my 2 cents!
Jay

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#22 Post by Jon Schmid »

John Clarke wrote:Nothing wrong with a 'Tune Up' but it won't cure the above! Good advice from David ref the Coil and Kevin ref mechanicals being more of a constant & electricals coming and going.
Just my 2 cents!
Jay
Thanks, Jay. I had already replaced the coil and at first it seemed to work. Then the problem returned. The condenser was probably 30 years old, so I can"t complain about its longevity. Like I sad, I am worried about the longevity of the condensers that are currently being offered. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Miguel Antonetti
356 Fan

#23 Post by Miguel Antonetti »

+1 on the faulty condensers issue... I just replaced two - made in Turkey - to get it right. What happened to QA/QC?