How Many Hours of Labor for an Engine Rebuild?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Edwin Ek
356 Fan

How Many Hours of Labor for an Engine Rebuild?

#1 Post by Edwin Ek »

Case doesn't need any work. Heads are ready to go with valve guides installed. New crank. Carburetors rebuilt and ready to bolt on. Flywheel ready to use.

Seems I am asking what the assembly time is.

Jack Walter
356 Fan

Re: How Many Hours of Labor for an Engine Rebuild?

#2 Post by Jack Walter »

I'm almost afraid to tell you how quickly you can bolt one together if you're under a time crunch - if everything is pre-fitted and you've done it a few times you can screw one together in a few hours.
Just make absolutely sure your cam timing is right and someone hasn't improperly installed the cam gear so the valves and pistons don't go bump when you're turning the engine over by hand to adjust the valves (don't ask me how I know).

Take your time and check everything and you can assemble one in a weekend.

Conrad Carter
356 Fan
Tag: Let's be careful out there!

#3 Post by Conrad Carter »

Edwin,
No reputable 356 engine builder is going to do what you are asking. If they don't check everything very closely and simply put engine together and engine is not right or blows up, their reputation will be on the line. I could be wrong.
Conrad

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#4 Post by Edwin Ek »

Conrad,

My mechanic is doing the whole job, including supplying all parts. I am only trying to get a sense of the labor charge.

Thanks,
Ed

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#5 Post by Wes Bender »

It's whatever he charges you, based upon the work involved. I only rebuild my own engines, but I can't begin to tell you how many hours it will take. An educated guess maybe, but no guarantee. Too many variables.

If he's a good mechanic and you trust him you should be OK. Hope it works out for the best.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Jack Walter
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jack Walter »

I was kidding around in my first post but if you have a good mechanic who really knows what he is doing, a proper set of the measuring equipment and all of the parts he needs (you always need something else) and assuming no unforeseen issues crop up it could easily take a week to properly assemble an engine - and that's after all of the components have been returned from the machine shop. Don't skip having all of the rotating components magnafluxed and balanced (broken cranks can really ruin your whole year). As Wes pointed out above it depends on the work involved and the experience of the mechanic. There really are a lot of variables and the machine shop bill can really surprise you. I'm rebuilding a 2.25 liter Land Rover engine and my machine shop bill will probably total over $1500 alone. I'm taking a few shortcuts on this motor and not replacing the camshaft and lifters but I'll probably have over $3000 in this simple 4 cylinder cast iron tractor engine - even with me doing all of the assembly work. I figure I'll probably have around 60 hours total in the rebuild when you factor in all of the time spent disassembling, cleaning and reconditioning all of the pieces of the motor.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#7 Post by Ron LaDow »

Edwin Ek wrote:Conrad,
My mechanic is doing the whole job, including supplying all parts. I am only trying to get a sense of the labor charge.
Thanks,
Ed
You have someone whom I presume you trust to do the work. They are looking at the parts they are going to have to use to assemble an engine.
I'd suggest you ask them, rather than a bunch of folks who have no idea what parts are involved pr their condition.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#8 Post by Joris Koning »

Ed, why not just ask Dick directly? As you know he has done 100's. No problem for him to give you an indication.

If you need a guideline, look at the factory flat rate book and adjust from there.
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#9 Post by Edwin Ek »

Joris, you hit the nail on the head, thanks! I am asking about the flat-rate estimate. I didn't use the proper terminology initially. And I don't have the book. I figured some one here would know at once. Seems not to be the case, though.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#10 Post by C J Murray »

I have never seen or heard of a factory flat rate manual for the 356. There were aftermarket publishers like "Motors"(?) that may have produced one but I thought they focused on more popular vehicles.

If you find a flat rate manual it will be totally worthless just as any estimate claiming to be accurate is worthless. Factory flat rates are based on brand new machines being repaired in absolute ideal conditions. That means no rust, stripped threads, broken studs, warped surfaces, cracks, or other problems. That is never the case with an over 50 year old 356.

Expecting an accurate estimate of labor for an engine rebuild is unreasonable. Most importantly you must trust your rebuilder. If you get a bad vibe then walk away. You must remain in a situation where bad news and up charges are not suspect in your mind because it is likely that they will happen.

On the other thread there were repair orders for rebuilds taking nearly 100 hours labor. I find that hard to believe since my experience is that around 45 hours is what it takes me including removal and replacement into the car. The unanswered question is what additional tasks were performed to drive up the labor time? Anybody who has done many engines will be able to quote a range of costs based on their experience with "easy" vs "difficult" rebuilds. I would worry more about money than hours. Many shops use a marketing ploy of quoting a low labor rate but inflating the number of hours. It's not honest and I wouldn't do it but if they charge the same total amount it isn't evil.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#11 Post by Joris Koning »

CJ, they do exist and I own several will post some pictures tonight
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

C J Murray
356 Fan

#12 Post by C J Murray »

Joris Koning wrote:CJ, they do exist and I own several will post some pictures tonight
What do they quote for a 356 engine overhaul?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#13 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Joris
what are the times on 4-Cam engines? then and now
j

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#14 Post by Joris Koning »

Jacques,

Not sure they are in there need to check. I think Jim W. once told me 60-80 hours when new. Now, all depends on the condition of the parts you are dealing with as you know.

J.
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#15 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Thanks Joris i would think the dealer flat rate was in the order of 40hrs and that did not include a valve job or reaming/fitting bearings. in reality i have personally seen Al Cadrobbi change a roller crankshaft in lest than 8 hrs and know someone that spent 200+ hrs doing a 587 engine from his time sheets.
j