123Ignition Tune+ BT - advance curve values?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Roy Velthof
356 Fan

123Ignition Tune+ BT - advance curve values?

#1 Post by Roy Velthof »

Hi All,

I want to install a 123Ignition Tune + BT , does anybody have the values for the advance curve? I have a 58 1600S engine that has been upgraded to a 1750 Big Bore and has Webers.

Thanks

Roy
- '55 356 Pre A Speedster
- '58 356 A T2 Coupé
- '60 356 B T5 Roadster

C J Murray
356 Fan

Re: 123Ignition Tune+ BT - advance curve values?

#2 Post by C J Murray »

Good news, and bad news. Nobody can tell you what settings to use for your engine. Fortunately the 123 Tune + works great at being adjusted to your exact engine. To make it work you have to learn what your engine wants the settings to be. It has taken me around 2 years to get to the point where the car is so good that I no longer am compelled to fool with it further. The 2133cc stroker engine it is on nearly behaves as flawlessly as a modern car. The idle is perfect, hot or cold, and driving on the road is smooth everywhere while running cool and avoiding detonation. The vacuum curve is a great help in accomplishing these traits.

As a starting point you can use the Porsche 356 centrifugal curve that they show in their literature or you can use the graph in the Porsche shop manual. If you use the vacuum feature, as you should, leave that set to all zeros until you have your engine running very well after you have added and subtracted timing to get the best performance without pinging/detonation. Then you engage the vacuum advance based on how much vacuum your engine makes primarily at idle. The vacuum advance does nothing at wide open throttle but it greatly enhances throttle response and reduces engine temperatures.

The downside of the Tune is that because it is so adjustable you will spend lots of time doing so. The upside is that once adjusted correctly your engine will run better than ever.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion