356 A steering gear replacment

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Bill Keyser
356 Fan

356 A steering gear replacment

#1 Post by Bill Keyser »

I was told that a vw buss steering gear would work in my A, fits well but the connection between the steering dampener and box don't line up, the other tie rods appear to line up fine. A
nyone tried this successfully? How? thanks.

Jim Clement
356 Fan
Tag: 1957 356 A Coupe

Re: 356 A steering gear replacment

#2 Post by Jim Clement »

I have just had one installed in my nearly complete restoration.
I used the new TRW steering box, with a revised pitman arm and the clamp from a VW bus to secure the dampener bracket.
I will try and get to the car to take a picture..

Bill Keyser
356 Fan

#3 Post by Bill Keyser »

Thanks Jim I'll look at my bus manual. Look forward to any pics you can post.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#4 Post by David Jones »

Which year bus box are you using and how does it mount? From my limited experience with the VW bus I would not have thought there was any way to install it easily?
Please post pictures Jim as it would be a huge savings on replacement cost.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

David Nicholls
356 Fan
Tag: 56 Coupe #56209

#5 Post by David Nicholls »

As far as I know,
Early 356A steering boxes were VW.
Then came the ZFs

Regards
David

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#6 Post by David Jones »

The bus used a totally different steering gearbox I thought, unless the early bus used the early VW box which I really doubt. Also I guess it depends on the time of year the 57 Porsche was made as that was the year they changed to the ZF box. Whenever the steering damper was added also requires a different pitman arm. The ZF box is a good upgrade over the early worm and sector VW box.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Jim Clement
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jim Clement »

trw box installed.
in the second picture you can see the clamp that attaches the steering dampener.
I believe these are all VW Bus parts.
Attachments
steering box 2.JPG
steering box.JPG

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#8 Post by David Jones »

Jim,
From what I can deduce from the pictures that is a stock VW replacement steering box for VW bugs from about 1962 on. It is an upgrade from the previous VW box in that it has worm and roller movement as opposed to the worm and sector used in the earlier boxes which were used in the 356 until 57. TRW makes the replacement and they can be bought on Amazon for around $100. Only question I have is what is the cutout in the mounting clamp portion. I have never seen that before and I must have used up about a dozen of those things in the years I was racing formula vee. There is a noticeable difference in the steering between the VW box and the ZF box post 57 and having used both the early and later VW boxes in the formula vee I would prefer the ZF box over both of them.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Bill Keyser
356 Fan

#9 Post by Bill Keyser »

Doesn't the ZF box require some modification work to the car to make it fit?
How much?

Jack Walter
356 Fan

#10 Post by Jack Walter »

Bill Keyser wrote:Doesn't the ZF box require some modification work to the car to make it fit?
How much?
Its a tight fit and it requires a small bit of "clearancing" with a hammer but you can put a ZF in a 1956 car - its a job that will make you mutter a few epithets but it will fit.
I have the original VW branded box from my 1956 coupe plus a ZF that I bought for my departed 56 sunroof coupe but never installed that I probably ought to post up on the classified section.

Bill Keyser
356 Fan

#11 Post by Bill Keyser »

Can you be more specific about "clearancing" how big a dent/hole, in what & can it be repaired later if wanted to go back to all original?
let me know if your selling the ZF.

Jack Walter
356 Fan

#12 Post by Jack Walter »

I'll try to get a picture tomorrow - the ZF box is bigger than the VW box and its a tight fit between the top torsion bar housing and the body to get it into position. Once its in place its pretty good.
Some folks have removed the top cover of the steering box to slide it in place and then put the cover back on. I think I had to reshape the flange of the access hole but its been thirty years since I did that modification so I'm a little fuzzy on how I made it work. I know I had a little trouble getting the box in and out when I restored the car a few years ago.

I want to check out the spare ZF box and make sure its in good shape before I sell it. I got it from a friend of mine in upstate New York near Watkins Glenn - traded him some other parts for it. I was going to put it in my 56 sunroof coupe but sold the car before I could get around to the swap. Its been sitting in a box for at least 30 years and I figure its not doing any one any good there.

Jim Clement
356 Fan

#13 Post by Jim Clement »

your memory is correct.. it takes some adjusting of the flange on the body on the front side of the steering box.. hammer work..
then it fits..

Bill Keyser
356 Fan

#14 Post by Bill Keyser »

Jim, thanks for the pics! I see the clamp I need but I'm not finding it in the parts diagrams for VW. It looks like it could have been hand made( so many parts were/are) . Do you have any more info on what it might be or where to get one? Or do I get out the forge?

Bill Keyser
356 Fan

#15 Post by Bill Keyser »

Jack et all, thanks for info I'LL keep my eye out for a ZF. (Jack, repeat of above!!)